Geissele w/ KNS pins?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by icallshotgun88, Jun 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

okay, I've tried to do my research…I've googled the heck out of this and read dozens of threads of people arguing across different forums…

and it looks like Bill Geissele himself recommends NOT using KNS pins with his triggers because they are slightly a different size and not as strong

…I read this in a few forums, but the threads were all started back in like 2008-2009. This was before the Super Dynamic line came out…

to get down to it, my questions is, 'is it okay to use KNS pins with the Geissele Super Dynamic Combat trigger?'

Mr. Geissele gave two reasons for not using KNS pins…they are too small (his pins are slightly larger) and not hard enough (his pins are specially treated and extremely tough)

BUT, that was 5 or 6 years ago when he said that…

AS OF NOW, on Geissele.com the SD-C trigger says that it uses a standard mil-spec pin size.
    and if thats the case then problem #1 is solved, because so does KNS.

secondly, the KNS pins I want to use are the KNS Gen ST version which are "the strongest pins that can be produced" according to KNS. And these pins weren't around when Mr. Geissele made those statements.

heres a link to the pins:

http://www.knsprecisioninc.com/gen-st-non-rotating-trigger-hammer-pins-154-diameter-dark-earth.html

heres a link to the SD-C trigger:

http://geissele.com/super-dynamic-combat-trigger.html

I KNOW THE PINS WILL WORK, BUT I WANT TO KNOW IF I THERE WILL BE ANY NEGATIVE EFFECTS FROM USING THEM. OTHERS HAVE SAID IT IS POSSIBLE IT DAMAGES THE TRIGGER SOMEHOW…

and I know a lot of people out there hate KNS pins. thats fine. go ahead. don't use them. But i've had my pins walk out on me and fall into the receiver..twice.

yes, even after I made sure it was installed correctly. So i will continue to use KNS pins in EVERY build.

2. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

Why do you want to use KNS pins?

3. icallshotgun88

because i have had triggers pins walk out and fall into the receiver of my gun..

let me guess, you're going to say "well you didn't have the trigger installed correctly"…

wrong, i reinstalled it two more times and it kept happening…

then i ordered new trigger pins…

it still happened..

im guessing my lower is out of spec…one was a bravo company lower and one was a spikes tactical lower..(using daniel defense LPK)

i don't care if people think KNS pins are a waste of money…I'm going to use them on all of my builds

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

this thread seems pretty pointless in that sense.

you seem convinced they are useful for your needs and are going to use them regardless of what others say.

so what is the point of this thread, if you have already done your research and your mind is already made up?

5. icallshotgun88

can you not read?
    this thread isn't about wether or not one should use KNS pins..

this thread is about whether they will work with a Geissele trigger or not..
    i will use KNS pins regardless. And I will use a trigger that works with them. I'm just hoping to use something from Geissele.

do yourself a favor and read the posts and think before you start typing

6. Argyle_Armoring

Whoa dude!!! Take your ritalin. I wasn't going to criticize anything you had typed. But since you want to be a douche about it I guess I will answer your question for you your way.

Maybe next time you should read the interwebs a little better. Of course they'll work with your super fancy elitest trigger. I wouldn't use them but they will work. Again, what do I know because I just assume everything?

7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Geissele is full of it! That is BS. The KNS Pins will improve even his triggers! KNS even ran a test for him and found them to be more than durable and an improvement. Of course the cantankerous old fart will not probably admit it but it is a fact. I know about the test!
    Some people are overly impressed with themselves if you know what I mean! ;)
    Not saying at all that his triggers are not fine triggers! I also have several KNS Sets in my ARs and not one was not improved by installing them!

8. icallshotgun88

That was intended for Axxe.
    I've received numerous rude and senseless remakes from over since I've been a member.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  9. Axxe55

you already answered you own question.

which again, i'll point out makes this thread pointless.

don't get all butthurt simply because someone pointed out the obvious.

10. icallshotgun88

I did NOT answer my own question.
    My question is whether or not it's okay to use KNS pins with a Geissele trigger.

I will use KNS pins either way. But if it's not okay to use then with a Geissele trigger then I will pick a different trigger.

You should really stop typing.

You're starting to look bad.

11. Axxe55

whatever.

i just pointed out the obvious.

not going to argue with you over it.

12. Argyle_Armoring

Yeah.....about that....
    Your quote above asks if it's okay to use KNS pins with a Geissele trigger. Then you state you're going to use them regardless. So you're basing your trigger choice on whether or not you can use KNS pins. I think your thought process is backwards. You should worry about the best trigger for you first then worry about your pins.

13. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have only had one set of pins walk and it was due to having way to light of hammer spring in there . I have heard it happen to people that cut off one leg of the spring or bend them to far .
    The pin I had came out of one hole and when it did it unloaded the rest of the mag which was 7-8 rounds . I have since switched that rig over to KNS pins because I like my light trigger in that particular rifle . I personally say it wont hurt anything using them with your geissele trigger and its not going to make it function any differently than it would with his standard pins . Bill never recommended them because he had faith in his product working as it should with the standard pins . If you want them get them it will work just fine with or without them

14. icallshotgun88

YOU may think my thought process is backwards.

That's fine.

I'm okay with a standard mil-spec trigger that comes with a standard LPK.

I'm totally fine with using that. But I would like to try a Geissele.
    But it's important to me to use KNS pins. And if I shouldn't use KNS pins with a Geissele trigger than I won't use a Geissele trigger.

Idk why that's so hard for you to understand.

If you don't have anything smart or nice to say then move on to the next thread and be a jerk to someone else..

You haven't provided ANYthjng helpful or related to this thread.

15. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I guess I was just curious regarding the pins coming out of two highly respected quality receivers.
    There is only a few things that can cause the Trigger and Hammer Pins to walk out on their own.

Hammer:
    1. J Wire or (J Spring) Broken or Fallen Out of the Trigger
    2. No Slot in the Center of the Trigger Pin
    Trigger:
    1. Hammer Spring Leg not on Top of the Trigger Pin and in the Trigger Pin Small Slot on
    the end of the Trigger Pin.
    2. Hammer Spring installed upside down with little Hammer Spring Leg tension in the
    Trigger Pin Slot to hold the Trigger Pin in place. The Hammer Spring Legs in this
    position will come off the Top of the Hammer Spring Coil not the Bottom of the Coil as
    they should.
    3. Hammer Spring Legs located under the Trigger Pin
    4. Very Weak modified Hammer Spring Legs
    5. No Spring Slots or Incorrect Slot location on the Trigger and Hammer Pins

Let me know regarding your issue with the Pins walking! I am curious!

By the way I have also used KNS Anti-Rotate Trigger and Hammer Pins to correct an old rifle that has the trigger and hammer pin holes worn from Use or Abuse to correct the problem.

Thanks,

16. icallshotgun88

You just listed 5 reasons for why trigger pins can walk out..which is exactly why I want KNS pins.

I don't know the reason as to why mine kept walking out.
    I added KNS pins and it solved the problem and I know I don't have to worry about it.

I can't tell you why mine walked out.
    All I want to know is whether or not there will be any issues caused by using KNS pins with an SD-C Geissele trigger.

But somehow this has turned into a thread about something else.

Please stay on topic..

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

i dont use kns pins with gieselle or oem style trigger assemblies because there are extreme cases where the lower may experience extremely dirty conditions or fouling gums up with the lube or it dries out causing some extra friction. in such cases the pins will rotate in their holes freely.

the oem design is not intended to be used with static pins.

that being said you shouldnt have issues under normal conditions.

i only use kns pins with cmc and timney triggers.

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

You're the one who is rude in this thread, and you have been in other threads, some that are near duplicates of others. Over and over in your stream of questions you've been given good advice, only to criticize it. So why not buy what you've fallen in love with then make threads that review the product. I'm still curious how old you are, you seem childish. Grow a little and you'll find this a helpful site.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  19. JonM

JonM Moderator

this has gone far enough. the question has been answered and its just devolving into pointless bickering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.