geese

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by savageman97, Jan 17, 2013.

1. savageman97

savageman97 New Member

I'm supposed to go hunting for geese this weekend on a buddys orchard and I was wondering if u guys had any tips on cleanin them and if a 20 gauge or a 22 would be better

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

22 is illegal here in Missouri unless they are destroying property that is. As to cleaning em....can't help ya.

3. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

You can dry pick them and then singe them over a flame. I really don't care for them to eat. I just never found eating oil filters to my likeing.:eek:

4. savageman97

savageman97 New Member

I don't know the law is up here but since they are on private property and in an orchard I could claim they are destroying property?they are eating the fruit from his trees and that's why he called me

5. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Id find out the laws first before I did anything

6. cgersty

cgersty New Member

I'd stick with the shotgun, in my area the waterfowl laws are pretty strict, if ya do something wrong you get to talk to the federal boys, I would check out your states dnr website and check your local laws and regulations, better safe than sorry, I can't help on the cleaning as I don't hunt em because I don't like to eat them.

7. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Friend of mine gave me some goose sausage last spring, it was edible.

8. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I'd check into the 22 thing, here in WI we have to use shotgun with steel shot or other such non toxic load for waterfowl. As for cleaning them, I would feed them to a good dog. I suppose some sort of sausage may be good as Gatoragn mentioned, I have had a goose sausage stick 1 time though and after the first bite was looking for that dog ;)

9. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The Goose is covered under the Federal Migratory Water Fowl Act. You must have a Federal Stamp an LEG stamp and use steel shot. Rifles are prohibited for taking geese that is the rules in the Rocky Mtns.

Maybe you know how:confused: to avoid the Federal Regs.?:confused:

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

You might be able to use the 22 since they are destroying property. I would call your wildlife resources commission to make certain. If you need a permit to kill nuisance geese and you don't have it you will be facing some stiff fines and you will be in federal court.

The best way to clean them is to boil a large pot of water. Then dip the geese in the boiling water. The feathers will come off very easy and the bird will be just as clean as a store bought bird. This method works on all types of fowl.

The best way I have found to cook geese is to par boil them. Then put them on grill or smoker. Use a meat thermometer to make certain they are cooked all the way through. Coating the geese with your favorite BBQ sauce won't hurt a thing, especially if you cook them on a grill. Apply the BBQ sauce about 30 minutes before they are done cooking.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  11. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Same in NH. Migratory waterfowl are the same in every state. Waterfowl stamps are 31.00 at the post office. To late to get one now.

12. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Listen to John_Deer as how to pluck these things, however should you decide to dry pluck them make sure you have a least a case of beer and a big box of trash bags cuz you aint gonna freakin believe how many feathers and down those SOB's are wearing!:eek:

13. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I just breast them. Slit under the breast bone and work up. Peel the skin and feathers off. Make decent cutlets, better stewed.

14. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Wild geese come under federal jursidiction. So, any rifle is not legal to hunt them even on private land. They can only be hunted during the seasons set aside for them and bag limits apply. A federal and most likely a state migratory bird hunting stamp is also required along with a shot gun no larger than 10 gauge not capable of holding 3 shots at one time, using an approved non-toxic shot.
    As for eating them, there are many great recipes and they are fine eating. Google is your friend.
    CT

15. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

I like to use a 300 win mag after they land on you bait sight so u get like 200 in a row 1 shot lmao, serious tho hell no you dont use a damn 22 what the hell are u annie oakley or what??? A 20 guage is also very light for geese, go with good steel shot from a 12 or some black cloud out of a 10 that really whomps um good. Geese are nasty tho greasy boogers, but the make awesome jerkey.

16. Pasquanel

Even better yet make stone soup!

17. cgersty

cgersty New Member

The jerky isn't too bad, I have a buddy that put some breasts in his smoker and they weren't too bad, I just personally don't care for them to eat.

18. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The only way I would eat a goose is if there were no elk. Elk is the best meat. Out here in the Big Country they sell cows and eat Elk.:)

19. Pasquanel

I'm with you there Elk is very good, buffalo or beeffalo is nice but duck and geese are only if you are starving!

20. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Yup I have 3 in the freeze from this yr, another tripple, nm, co, wy. All good bulls 6x6 ,6x7, 6x6 all right in the 330 class nuthin huge this yr. But all good bulls an the best table fare of all.