Gauging Interest

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by zaitsev44, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I'm gauging interest for a bore flushing system for firearms that fire corrosive ammunition. I'm currently capable to make .303 British, 7.62x54r, and 8mm Mauser, but I can get other calibers upon request. Some may have heard of the concept before, I take a spent casing, a foot long section of polyurethane tubing (it's resistant to cleaning chemicals and the like), and a fixture of some sorts. For the fixtures I can do a plastic water bottle cap so you can take it to the range or elsewhere, or a brass hose adapter so you can hook it up to a hose or a water faucet so you can use hot water. It can be used to flush corrosive salts, grease/cosmoline, debris, and the like from your rifles' bore. The hot water will neutralize and flush corrosive salts, and wash away gunk and grease. I am in the "prototype" stage now, the only problem I'm facing is find a good sealant. I have tested it and it works like a charm, the epoxy I used became too brittle for repeated use, but it cleaned the debris that solvents and brushes couldn't clean from my M44's bore. As soon as I find an epoxy that works I can begin to market them to my fellow FTF members.
    If all goes to plan and if there's interest, then I will begin to sell them. I will give around 1/4 of the price of each system sold to FTF to help with the needs of the website. I still need to talk to an admin to work this out. I have all the materials I need with the exception of the brass hose fittings. If there are any questions with the concept, caliber choice, design, or anything else, please feel free to email me. Thank you all, zaitsev.

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

A single use product would generate more revenue from subsequent sales. Aside from that, most water hose spigots do not provide hot water; a sink attachment with a two or three foot hose might be more useful. Best of luck! :)

No offense and none taken

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Fish tank silicone sealant may be useful.

4. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I plan for it to be a multi-use product. Water hoses will give more than enough flow and pressure to flush grime and salts out. Hot water would neutralize without the pressure provided by water hoses. Thank you for the advice, it's appreciated!

5. Highpower

Highpower New Member

A little Teflon tape on the threads of the hose fitting and ...... :)

[​IMG]

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

i use a cleaning rod with a loop style patch holder and bucket of hot soapy water. stick muzzle in bucket start running patch up and down bore. patch soaks and seals up in the barrel and starts acting like a pump pulling water up into the bore and out the chamber. then rinse and done. clean and lube as you would any other firearm.

i pour the remnants outside as i dont want that in my sinks.

i would have to see what you come up with but a bucket rod and patch holder is pretty easy. im always interested in something better that is a labour saver