Gau-8

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Cinderocka1989, May 21, 2011.

1. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member

Thought you could all appreciate this...

Attached Files:

2. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

A-10 Warthog. The pilots love them. The Ground pounders love them - they'd rather see ONE A10 come to their aid than ten F-16s.......

But the USAF brass has always been wanting to get rid of them - not as pretty or excting as the 'fast movers'......

They want to replace it with 'something'.... but NOTHING does what the A10 can do.

3. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

Nothing like close air support for the ground troops.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ-pdvirHDQ]YouTube - ‪Close air support ~ A-10 Warthog‬‏[/ame]

You see the rounds hitting the ground and then at 13 seconds you hear the GAU-8 firing....that "hum" in the background.

The Air Force didn't like the Warthog because it's not "supersonic." When they wanted to get rid of them the Marines jumped up and said "we'll take them!!!!" Hell YEAH the Marines would take them. THEY are the ones who LOVE close-in air support......

4. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Ain't that the truth?! Best CAS platform ever made and the USAF wants to scrap them. Pure idiocy.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Bit of Warthog trivia- the gun is offset from the centerline of the aircraft- but the barrel SHOOTING is on centerline. The GAU 8 makes two set of sparks when it hits the hull of tank- one set entering, one leaving. The entire gun is about the size of a Volkswagen Beetle. The aircraft can fly with one engine, half the tail, and missing one half of one wing. Pilot sits in what amounts to a titanium bathtub.

I want one for my birthday- but trying to find reloading dies in 30mm will be a *****!

6. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

I have always loved the a10, i think they are damn good looking aircraft.

A little more a10 trivia, the main gun firing produces as much thrust as both of the engines on full throttle (13,000 lb's)

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

And because of the proximity of the gun's barrel to the craft's centerline, the forward landing gear is off-set.

Attached Files:

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

This is noboma's "budget reduction" replacement for the Warthog;

Attached Files:

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

When i was in korea on a training excercise i saw a A10 and a F16 doing mock dogfight low and slow the F16 couldnt hang and the A10 stayed on his tail the whole time. Its one badaaaaaassss plane. Best aircraft in the airforce.

10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

There was a video of an A-10 chasing an Iraqi Mi-24 from GW1 that was played on the History Channel a couple of years back. It was a pretty awesome duel, but the Hind came out on the losing end after some amazing flying. Gunned down by the GAU-8.

11. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Dammit M14s, I want that footage!! :D

12. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

A-10, nuff said!
    Saw a whole sh!tload of them in wraps in Tucson :eek:
    Shouldn't they be Border Patrol :confused:

13. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Me too, and I've looked for it.

14. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member

Did I mention I want one of these... Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Military planes are the reason I'm going into aerospace engineering.