Gasoline storage

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by fireguy, Jan 7, 2013.

1. fireguy

fireguy New Member

For the past couple of years my plan has been to buy a metal fuel tank built for the back of a pick-up truck to use to store gas for my generator.

Unforeseen expenses kept coming up to stop me from buying a tank and pump. Now the cost has jumped up a lot from when I first started checking them. Do any of y'all know of good quality polymer storage tanks that are less expensive than the steel ones they have at Tractor Supply and Orscheln's?

Last time we had an ice storm and we ran the house off of the generator I had to make a 25 mile round trip to refill my gas cans every few days. I would like to be able to stock up when the price is down and I will rotate it in the mower and cars.

2. orangello

orangello New Member

Do you know anybody with a coin-operated car wash? They get some nice polymer barrels full of detergent that might be suitable.

3. fireguy

fireguy New Member

A friend of mine has a car wash right across the street from me. I'll find out what he gets his detergent in. Thanks.

4. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

How Long will gas keep before it isn't usable anymore?

5. fireguy

fireguy New Member

If you treat it with a good additive like Pri-G and store in a cool place, it is said that a couple of years are possible. I don't plan on anything like that. I will rotate it out.

6. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

i dont know what kind of farming goes on around your area but alot of roundup and other herbicides come in 30 gallon drums and most are just cut up and burned or recycled.

7. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I would rotate at less than 1 year.

8. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

They also make 270 gal totes for herbicides , we have a ton of them at work that we repack with herbicides , you can buy used one for about $25-50 and new ones for about $170 . they store fuel just fine ;) I know this for a fact

9. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I've been looking on craingslist and there are a lot of used truck fuel tanks out there for a lot less money than the tanks I was looking at. Even if they have a little residual diesel in them, it would be a very small percentage, not enough to even matter.

10. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Time to trad ,ill give you 4 chickens an 2 rabbits for a tote

11. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

yah i forgot to mention those totes,i just sent back 6 or 8 emptys.by the end of summer i have totes piled up all over the airport we just cut them up and recycle them the 250's all get sent back to the chemical suppliers but they will sale the used ones cheap.

12. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Hmmm , thats very tempting ;)

13. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Yup things keep goin like they are an the barter system will be alive an well, but I think it should be that way anyway.

14. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

The fuel that is made today won't last very long even with additives. I wouldn't store it longer than around 6 month's. The Ethanol gas breaks down pretty fast,I had some in a 2 gallon can for about 8 month's,and it wouldn't even light on fire.

15. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Hmmm I had some I know was in the can for 2 yrs mixed up 2 stroke and it went boom when I hit it with a match :D made the neighbors come take a look

16. orangello

orangello New Member

[wonders about the fate of those chickens and whether their value depends on if they are alive at the time of trade]
    :D