gasoline powered machine gun.

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by npbwbass, Feb 18, 2011.

1. npbwbass

npbwbass New Member

There is not really a thread for R&D so I will post some interesting news here.

You all may have seen a few posts here from a lady named Sebbie. I was allowed to see a demo of a prototype system she was working for her Masters degree. Its a gasoline powered machine gun. Actually its a slaved manifold gun to a gasoline engine.

No brass, no powder, no primers. She used it to cut an old telephone pole in half in a mater of seconds. I am not allowed to show pictures until all is patented. Its a brilliant concept. Her idea is for ground support aircraft. More projectiles, less weight and logistics. The thing spits bullets at a furious rate of fire!

Its nice to be related to a genius.

2. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Looking forward to seeing it in action:)

Just one question---what piston engine (I'm assuming) gasoline fueled
    aircraft are being used in the ground support role these days?

3. sebbie

sebbie New Member

npbwbass is a loudmouthed brat!

I see npbwbass has let it out already

The entire system is not much more than a 4 cylinder motorcycle engine. It would fit on almost any combat aircraft including helicopters. It could be set up in a ground vehicle engine for that kind of protection application work too I suppose.

The project was more of a can I build it thing and what would be the logistics advantage per round.

He was the one who got all excited for commercial applications. :)

4. orangello

orangello New Member

Interesting! Did you ever see the steam-powered machine gun on Mythbusters?

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Problem is the us military doesn't use Gas for anything. They use diesel in everything. We even had wackers (Foot tampers) that were diesel those were a royal PITA.....

6. fixxer

fixxer New Member

Stupid telephone poles deserve it!

And telephone poles everwhere (at least in Los Alamos) are shuddering because another weapon is brought into the war between buried optical cable and highline suspension!!! :eek:
    But more seriously: That is pretty cool. I wanna see it!

7. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

I DEMAND pictures!
    [​IMG]

:p I'm begging for Video:D

8. fixxer

fixxer New Member

PS. What kind of NFA hoops did you jump through before building this machine gun?

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I have had a couple of conversations with sebbie and can say she may be one of the smartest people I have ever/never met.

She definitely is knowledgable in the world of firearms and this seems like an excellent " first step" in what I hope is a long career in small arms.

I am VERY interested in seeing this weapon when you are available to show us sebbie!!

And guys, be glad this little firecracker is on our side. ;)

10. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

i want to see with my hands

11. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Somewhere in the wreckage upstairs we have a battery-powered Nerf belt-fed tripod-mounted MG. :)

As a former professional pig handler, I am interested in any innovations in that field.

12. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Sounds intense. I want to see more.:D

13. sebbie

sebbie New Member

A lot of them. I did it under a DOD research grant.

14. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Can we see some pictures yet?

Or diagrams?

I promise I won't steal your idea. I barely got an 'A' in physics and chem.

15. sebbie

sebbie New Member

Show and tell is pending

I am so sorry guys I can't show anything until I get some clearances and patents in place. First it was a performance experiment. I can say the velocities were just over 3600 fps using 300 grain .338 cal bullets. The rate of fire was 60 rounds per sec. We ran it for a series of tests totaling 47 sec before a cam part failed. Yes it is a piston engine of a type, but not a normal one. I didn't use just one side of the piston for the power stroke. I cannot tell much more for now.
    I do want to that everyone on FirearmsTalk for letting me read in on all the expertise. There are some pretty smart people here.

I am a little burned out for now but I have an idea for a fuel powered rifle.

More later guys, I promise.

16. sebbie

sebbie New Member

fuels

Diesel didn't get me the power spike I needed. It burns way too slow. I used a blend closer to a nitro-methane burning rate.

17. sebbie

sebbie New Member

Where do you think I got the idea! ;)

18. sebbie

sebbie New Member

No, but steam would not work real well with lighter projectiles. Moving big projectiles might be done but you would need long tubes for any real velocity I would think.

19. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Personally, I would like to see some physics behind this thing because I know it is entirely possible...then, as a build kind of guy I wanna see pics of the actual hands on "making it work" with detailed fabrication steps and methods.

Sebbie, I am chomping at the bit. Wanna bet that I can find an Asian knock-off before I can find yours?

20. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

Have you looked into a provisional patent? A provisional will protect your product while the official patent is completed. Patents are expensive!! I looked into it briefly a few years ago, it can cost around ten grand and take three years!!