Gas Tube

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by sensei9, Jan 8, 2014.

1. sensei9

sensei9 New Member

Bought a used Bushmaster barrel. For some reason (known only to him) the previous owner had removed the front sight tower, but left the gas tube in it. When I got it, I removed the gas tube roll pin, but couldn't get the gas tube off. I don't want to ruin the gas tube getting it out, but I want to remove it for inspection before I put the whole thing together. Anyone have any idea if bushmaster uses some sort of adhesive on the gas tube? Don't want to heat it up if I don't have to.

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Its probably just carboned up, if you have any carb or brake cleaner put some down the gas tube and let it sit a few minutes , should break it loose

3. sensei9

sensei9 New Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll give this a try.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

Just carbon. They can be difficult to remove after lots of use.

5. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

I usually replace the gas tube if I gotta remove it, even though they are pretty tough. If the gun got fired any, you will have some carbon built up in that area, so it will take a little effort to get it out. Brownells has a clamp on gas tube removal tool just for this task. Barring that, take vise grips, clamp it down (but not so tight you crimp the tube) and give it a good whack with a 2lb hammer. I have never seen it take more than one whack to break the tube loose. Remember, when you are installing a gas tube, make sure there is clearance on both sides of the tube between the barrel nut teeth.