Gas systems

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by WillWorkForAmmo, May 14, 2013.

1. WillWorkForAmmo

WillWorkForAmmo New Member

Carbine systems, piston systems, mid length, : what's the difference?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

length

carbine gas system works best with 14.5 inch barrels barrely adequate for 16inch

midlength ideal for 16 inch barrels

rifle length ideal for 20+inch barrels. not suitable for 16 inch barrels.

you also have to deal with appropriate gas port size and gastube diameter and gas block port size for each style. more to it than just length

3. Quentin

Quentin New Member

That's explained well in the AR15 Primer...

4. johnr1943

johnr1943 New Member

A really good read. Actually what brought me here. :)

5. okdonk

okdonk New Member

So will Mid Length gas system do well on 14.5"?

6. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Yes, but not always.

Some people have had cycling issues with this recipe, but my 14.5 ML BCM has been perfect so far. It's quickly becoming my favorite carbine.

7. WillWorkForAmmo

Wow thanks the ar15 primer amazing thanks answered all my current questions ill be back though once I get some more. :D

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Yes, excellent read, clear and very useful.

Hmmm, sounds like Tikki should get a gratis membership upgrade!

9. WillWorkForAmmo

Can a piston system be put in any length ie piston with rifle or carbine etc

10. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Piston systems are proprietary, meaning every system is different because it is not standardized. Different types of systems, like long stroke, short stroke, different gas blocks, gas port dimensions. Everyone's got their own take on it. H&K, LMT, POF, LWRC, STG, AA, etc etc etc.

I'm afraid your question is too general. You will have to refer to the manufacturer.

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  11. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I love my middy 14.7" PSA . It even cycles perfectly with the .22lr kit in it which is great for practicing with . This is my go to gun next to the PSA 16" red headed step child that has more than proven its self with well over 8000 rds now without any issues other than the cleaning and new gas rings it got over the winter that I thought it needed . I hate to deprive a gun but this one really does get the most attention out of all of them , She gets more range time and more hands on her than anything else I own

12. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Why would you want to???:confused::confused:

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

Just something to think about.

Direct impingement is actual a piston system with the piston being on top of the bolt carrier and super short.

14. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Jon is right the piston system is just puking gas under the hand guard instead of in the upper like a DI system

15. WillWorkForAmmo

Sounded better keeping the inside important part away from the fouling and heat.I heard they can pose the problem of shaving some metal slowly on the inside

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  16. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

AR is designed to be a D.I. System, and works well in that format. It is NOT designed as a long/short stroke piston system.

Would you convert your AK to a D.I. gas system?

17. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

If you want a piston gun buy a AK , if u want a AR go DI. Pretty simple choice really , they are both proven , parts galore , and both very reliable in their original form. Im not saying a piston system in a AR is bad but if something breaks on a piston AR, chances are your not going to stop into just any shop and get parts and who wants to wait to have fun :D

18. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Kryptar and purehavoc points just convinced me. I was always tempted to get that PWS Diablo upper for quiet long. But now that temptation just been reduced to be 30%.

19. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

We should start a "How can I convert my AK to a DI gas set up?" On the AK forum? :)

20. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

No shavings to speak of. There is plenty of room for fouling to go and get out of the way. DI does blow some stuff into the upper, but it does not cause any problems. I have never seen an AR malf from fouling. I have seen AR's malf from lack of lube. The gasses will contribute to the lube drying out. Lube it up and go