Gas stations that rip off folks....

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by tri70, Sep 18, 2012.

1. tri70

tri70 New Member

A buddy I work with just busted a gas station that was ripping folks off an extra $2/gallon! They took pictures and reported it to the manager, he blew them off saying his pumps were right. They went back 3x in 24 hrs and took pictures of each transaction. They went to the police and reported the problem, they called in the state to go thru there books for the last 6 months or longer. Check your receipt for the right amount!

2. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

that's a good tip........NAY, a GREAT tip.

i ALWAYS round my total purchase off to the nearest dollar @ the pump....easy to calculate what it should be. with that said, i have had the outside pump tell me one thing, and the inside computer tell the checker something else. diesel is expensive enough as it is, so i don't pay the difference between inside and outside, and i let them know that their pump is off.

my 7.3L is a drunk when she gets to drinkin...........and i can't afford her and me too! lmao :eek:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012

3. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

The bastadges.
    My dad had a station when he retired from the USAF. He was the mechanic and he hired local active duty to man the pumps and help him out. I also pumped gas and helped in the garage when I wasn't being a PITA to my Jr. High teachers. It was in a northern tourist town, and it was hard to break even, but he was honest as the day is long.
    That kind of c*** really frosts me.

4. JigSawer40

JigSawer40 New Member

I got ripped off one time at a service station. I went in and gave 'em $3 and when I pumped the gas the pump stopped at $2. I went back in and told 'em I gave 'em $3 and they said no, you gave me $2. There was nothing I can do about it but at least it wasn't my normal stop.

It was run by the sand fleas. Go figure.

5. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

It sounds a little anal, but a quick glance at the seal put on EVERY pump by the Commissioner of Weights and Measures in your state will tell you the date they were checked. Anything older than one year or a missing seal can mean the pumps have been tampered with and the owner doesn't want them checked. Always keep enough gas in the tank to move down the street. ;)

6. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Absolutly. Check the seal! Look and make sure it's not shady.
    One of my previous jobs was calibrating pumps and dispensers. Always look for a current sticker.
    Thanks Tek

7. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

I had a local station that I swore was charging my card for purchases that I never made. About the time I became suspect, they went out of business.

Biggest scam, selling regular as premium. Another local station got busted for that one.

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

I've seen several stations do this exact thing. You can tell it when you have a car that's supposed to take premium, when the motor starts to ping, you know you've got the wrong gas.

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Texas is pretty good about checkiing the pumps. Once a year at a minimum. If major work done to the pumps, they have to be reinspected. I don't know if they check octane, though.