Gas rings. How do you know?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by broke-again124, Jun 27, 2012.

1. broke-again124

broke-again124 New Member

Hey guy could anyone tell me how I would know when my gas rings are about ready to be replaced. As in what sort of malfunctions to look for, signs of wear. etc.

2. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Just look at then if the are worn or bent then replace them.

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Absent an obvious defect on the rings themselves there are several popular "tests" of the ring's seal:

1. Push bolt back into the carrier then hold BCG up by the bolt head. If the carrier drops the rings need replacing.

2. Pull bolt fully forward then stand BCG on it's end. If the bolt drops into the carrier the rings need replacing.

Neither method is a guarantee but both seem to work for those that use them...YMMV

4. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

From what I have been told and read Jpyle hit it right on the head !!!

5. broke-again124

Thanks a bunch

6. broke-again124

What happens function wise if I don't?

7. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

If the rings do not make a proper seal, the hot carbon-laden gas will be expelled into the receiver through the carrier. It isn't a dangerous situation nor will it damage the receiver, it will just deposit lots of extra crud in the action and lead to a stoppage or cycling issue.

8. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

That is actually the Colt recommended test. Another course of action is just to replace them every time you go to the range. Only a buck a set if you buy them in groups of 5 at Brownells.

9. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

wow...I've never even considered changing them! I was trained to just inspect them on tear down while cleaning! if they look ok, run 'em.

I bet the ones on my first AR are shot then if they need changed periodically...since they've never been changed, and I've got probably 1500-2000 rounds through it...at least. I've never actually kept count.

10. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

At my unit now we replace the rings on our M16's every time we go to the range. Zero FTF's. For my personal AR, the peace of mind that a new set of rings brings is priceless. Also less time consuming and less damaging to the individual components than trying to scrub with a wire brush until the parts are white glove clean. Just don't forget to stagger the rings, same as an automotive piston.