gas piston

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by GREGULON, Feb 7, 2012.

1. GREGULON

GREGULON New Member

Can a gases piston upper work on a normal lower?

2. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

All other things being equal, yes.

3. xSTRIKERx

xSTRIKERx New Member

Yes sir they can,you have to have a hydraulic buffer

4. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Why would he need a hydraulic buffer?

5. xSTRIKERx

xSTRIKERx New Member

The cycle rate is drastically different then direct impingement gas systems even when firing semi auto you will have problems if your running a regular buffer and spring

6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

What will a hydraulic buffer do that an H2 won't?

7. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

They slow the cycle rate and manage recoil better. The added mass and dynamic of the gas piston affects both, so its needed to balance the system.

8. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

And what should I tell myself about the LWRC in the safe which runs a H2 and shoots extremely smooth? Should I run out and purchase a hydraulic buffer and add more moving parts and increase the chances something will go wrong?

9. xSTRIKERx

xSTRIKERx New Member

If you have a LWRC I wouldn't worry about it then but if your building a AR piston driven upper that's a different story

10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

He never said he was building one. He asked if a "normal" lower would work on one. Regardless what would the difference be?

11. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

I dunno. I was just explaining what it did. you asked.

12. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I had asked what the hydraulic buffer would do that a normal buffer wouldn't. Curiosity and the desire to learn new things.

13. goretro77

goretro77 New Member

A Ruger SR556 (Gas piston) upper uses a milspec lower. It can interchange with my Colt LE6920 (Direct Impingement) lower with no issues.

14. I have a piston AR with a standard spring buffer. I'm curious, what would happen if I changed it to a hydraulic buffer?

15. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I've asked the same Q, no answer yet.

16. I saw that, I just thought I'd rephrase it as a more direct question. I am interested as I always like to try and understand the interaction of different types of parts within the same gun. Sort of like the full length guide rod versus a standard guide rod in a 1911.

17. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I just like to know things. If there's something better out there I like to give it a try.

18. dickpalmer

dickpalmer New Member

Hello all. I have an AdamsArms piston and I can run either buffer. A standard buffer, a heavy buffer, and a hydrolic which is in it now. The only time the hydrolic is required is full auto. Hope this helps.

19. Is this because on full auto the spring would cause the bolt and carrier to return too quickly and potentially cause a failure to fully eject? The hydraulic buffer would slow down the cycle rate? Or, is this a piston issue where the piston and rod aren't returning fast enough and the bolt carrier gets pushed into the piston drive rod and that causes a jam? In either case it sounds like the hydraulic buffer is there to slightly slow down the cylce rate and the bolt return. Is that correct?

20. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Would a heavier buffer not work as well w/o the greater risk of breakage?