Gas piston conversion kit/complete upper recommendations?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by junho806, Jan 12, 2012.

1. junho806

junho806 New Member

I'm planning on suppressing my current AR build so I'm going with a gas piston upper.

So far it seems LWRC is the most popular but its out of my price range

some others i've considered are LMT and PWS

do you guys have any experience with any of these or have a recommendation?

thanks!

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well the first thing that comes to mind, you don't HAVE to go with a piston upper - lots of suppressed DIs out there. It's up to you of course, junho806, but I figured it's best to get this out in the open right away.

3. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

My first thought as well. A lot of guys who could run whatever they wanted running suppressed DIs.

4. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

Whatever you do . Dont get any after market piston kit to mod a DI system . More trouble than its worth.

5. junho806

junho806 New Member

yeah i know i just like the fact i can control the amount of gas =]
    so you guys think i should get a dedicated gas piston upper instead of a conversion kit?

6. 1stMarine

1stMarine New Member

Definantly, much less headache. You really don't want to be modifying existing parts unless you have to, or have extras.

Never Forget.

7. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

Its not so much the install, Ive heard they are pretty easy. Its the headache of having your rifle fail to cycle rounds over and over. That, and now you have a new set of problematic parts that are buried under a handguard. Go with the dedicated upper if you must go the piston route.

8. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I need some gun PrOn plz.

9. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

10. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Got an Ares setup about 3 years back. Took about 30 minutes to change out. Fired about 300 blanks, and a few thousand wolf fmj ammo no problem. My only issue was I couldn't mount my triangle handguards over it without filing some plastic off.