gas blocks and sights

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by JonM, Dec 13, 2011.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

ok im in the planning stages for a lightweight reddot centered midlength carbine type rifle.

its mainly going to be parts from rra and magpul plus possibly a full auto bcg depending on if i get my sherrif letter or not.

anyway rra has a gas block with integrated flip up sight. i like the magpul mbus as they are light stay out of the way and cheap and they just plain work. i would prefer using the magpul front rear setup but i cant find a simple rail height gas block that doesnt have funky features or cost a ridiculous ammount.

the rra flip up is an option if anyone has opinions of it or a suggestion of a decent quality reasonably rail height gas block in the ~45$ range

2. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

The MBUS won't work on a railed gas block anyhow. The picatinny on them sits lower than the picatinny on the receiver, so you have to get a gas block specific flip up sight.

Why not do a low profile gas block with something like a Troy TRX Extreme or Samson Evolution handguard? They give you the picatinny rail along the top and are very lightweight.

-Fred

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

i dont need a full rail and i really like the moe handguards :) i just found that midwest industries makes a reciever height block but i dont know how good their quality is on ar15 parts. but its also half again as much as i wanted to pay *sigh*

troy is pricey and i dont really want a full rail on this build.

i may just go with a yhm integrated block and sight as i dont like all the sling swivels on the rra sight/block. plus one of the yhm's has a bayonet lug.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  4. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

An A2 FSP is always an option.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

the barrel i want has a a2 fsb but i dont want it in the way of the optic.

6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I had one one my LWRC w/ a EoTech and a BCM w/ an H1 and when looking through the optic it's not noticeable. I have gone to longer rails simply because it fits my grip style better.

7. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Jon. Why does the sheriff matter on installation of a FA BCG on a semi auto rifle?

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

Cuz if i get it the upper is gonna be mated to a full auto colt m16 lower. It may change barrel plans too. Been tossing around the idea of a compact suppressed 30 cal too. Either way its still gonna need a light weight fsb/sight.

If i dont get it then i gotta sell the m16 and i pretty much got a huge blank check type budget at that point. But i still want to keep the cost reasonably low.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

Putting one of those vortex sparcs on it. Im pretty impressed with the strikefire. I got that for my mp 15-22 but i had it on my socom this weekend and its going for round two this coming saturday

10. jwsturr

jwsturr New Member

you could chop the top of the sight off. Or have Adco do it for $38.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

I can remove it myself :) i know the m16/ar15 platform pretty well. I dont want to mutilate a perfectly good fsb when it really needs a different gas block