Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can i use a low profile to free float my guard past the 7 inches or do i need to make more changes?

·
Administrator
34,286 Posts
Can i use a low profile to free float my guard past the 7 inches or do i need to make more changes?
I'm sure this means something to most of you but it is like a foreign language to me. :confused:

·
Registered
7,545 Posts
WOC, I do believe you're coming down with BRD!

Anyway the gas block is toward the front/muzzle of the barrel and a free float handguard must not touch the barrel or gas block out front, only toward the chamber end of the barrel. So tacticalfun was asking if it's possible to put a longer FF handguard/rail on his rifle than the normal 7" handguard as long as he has a low profile block that doesn't touch the rail. And I agree with Broke that you can.

·
Registered
7,545 Posts
Oh, I think everyone in the AR forum knows what BRD is! Black rifle disease...

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quentin said:
WOC, I do believe you're coming down with BRD!

Anyway the gas block is toward the front/muzzle of the barrel and a free float handguard must not touch the barrel or gas block out front, only toward the chamber end of the barrel. So tacticalfun was asking if it's possible to put a longer FF handguard/rail on his rifle than the normal 7" handguard as long as he has a low profile block that doesn't touch the rail. And I agree with Broke that you can.
Way more attention span than me :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
to save some money and have a very solid gas block that is actually pinned to the barrel, just chop down your FSB with a dremel and then slap on a Centurion Arms C4 12" Rail.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Video showing how to shave front sight base. If you are so inclined.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5rPPyYdFUs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5rPPyYdFUs[/ame]

EDUB

·
Registered
325 Posts
whether you shave the FSB or replace it with a Lo-Pro gas block, your warranty is probably going out the window.

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
X-mark said:
to save some money and have a very solid gas block that is actually pinned to the barrel, just chop down your FSB with a dremel and then slap on a Centurion Arms C4 12" Rail.
The best way by far.

X-mark said:
whether you shave the FSB or replace it with a Lo-Pro gas block, your warranty is probably going out the window.
Why? I can see them charging if you sent in your rifle claiming it wasn't cycling properly but it was a misalignment issue w/ the diy gas block. That would suck for roughly 90% of us lol.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Why? I can see them charging if you sent in your rifle claiming it wasn't cycling properly but it was a misalignment issue w/ the diy gas block. That would suck for roughly 90% of us lol.
I have no basis for this, but it just seems like a safe way to look at it. Each manufacturer will have their own warranty limitations, so before doing any modifications, perhaps it is best to contact a manufacturer, in writing, asking if what you plan to do will void any warranty. Then again, that may just give them a chance to say it will void the warranty.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Windham said i can use a windham branded low pro.....side note: are the daniel free float with the cut out for the front site any good?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Windham said i can use a windham branded low pro.....side note: are the daniel free float with the cut out for the front site any good?
Yes! They are solid! That would be a good alternative to replacing the gas block...you get added rail space, free float, and you get to keep your FSB intact.

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
X-mark said:
I have no basis for this, but it just seems like a safe way to look at it. Each manufacturer will have their own warranty limitations, so before doing any modifications, perhaps it is best to contact a manufacturer, in writing, asking if what you plan to do will void any warranty. Then again, that may just give them a chance to say it will void the warranty.
Cool. That's one of those tricky ask permission or forgiveness things lol

tacticalfun said:
Id look into the weight differences b/w using the cutout rail or lo pro gas block

·
Registered
325 Posts
Actually, if you go DD, you might as well swap out your gas block because you will need to remove the FSB in order to install the barrel nut anyways.

If you want to keep your FSB, Centurion Arms, and a few others, make a cutout rail that uses the existing barrel nut.

Centurion Arms Cut-out

Daniel Defense Lite Cut-out

1 - 20 of 28 Posts