gander mountain got A LOT of ammo but....

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by hawkguy, Oct 20, 2013.

1. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

just visited our newest gander and i was blown away by all ammo they had on the shelves!

only problem.....THE PRICES! everything was marked up at least 20% or more higher than every other retailer (cabelas, academy, etc). :confused:

it was nice to so many boxes of bulk ammo stacked up, however.......$40 for 100 round cheapo 9mm is NOT what i call a good price. $60 for bulk 100 rounds AE 223 is almost stupid overpriced imo. :confused:

i saw more people walk away with no ammo than purchasing. i only bought 1 box of SD ammo, cause it was ONLY about $2 overpriced.

anybody else see the same at gander?

2. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Could it be we are beng conditioned to higher prices? For years we thought one dollar a gallon gasoline was a ceiling. They created a shortage and now many think four dollars a gallon is OK.
    Is the $12.00 bulk box of .22 rim fire now $50 dollars, the new normal?:eek:

3. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

If people stop panicking and stop buying then they'll be forced to lower the prices.

4. Donn

Donn Active Member

No surprise. Gander Mountain's never been known for deals, at least around here.

5. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I've been to Gander Moutain once, everything was overpriced.

Back when I bought my Taurus 1911 the prices varied by store

Buds was about $500

LGS was about $600

Bass pro was about $700

Gander mountain? They had a $900 price tag on one... After seeing that and about 3 dozen other unholy markups, I swore I'd never go back.

6. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

I pass the one in Corsicana on the way to my hunt camp...
    Have visited at least a dozen times with spur of the moment intentions of showing up at camp with a new toy. Think the most expensive item I have bought is a container of pretzel pieces....they a re poor retailers from my experience.

7. Argyle_Armoring

As long as people continue to shop there, they will have outrageous prices.

8. hawkguy

y'know on thinking about it...y'all are 100% right!

everything there was overpriced! i have been looking at henry big boys lately, the average price running between 750-800. gander's were 899!!! :eek:

lesson learned.....:rolleyes:

9. JW357

JW357 New Member

So that is $20 / 50. That's the best price for 9mm I've seen locally around here since pre-Sandy Hook. The only exception to that is the range-only ammo at my LGS, which I think is currently $18 / 50.

I wish the prices would just normalize back to the pre-scare days. Although, Argyle, I agree with you. If we keep buying at these prices a lot of sellers will continue to sell at these prices.

10. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Don't have one near me, but the big boxes here all fight for the customer $ so everybody tries to undercut each other.... Just because Dicks opened in Prescott, I saw Big 5's prices drop by 10-12% this week,...plus they ran a 20% off sale on top of that.....their delivery is tomorrow so I'll be in there tomorrow or Tuesday.....

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  11. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

There is one an hour from me, same prices. They had no .22 and no 9mm fmj. The 9mm premium HP were $1.50/ round on up.

12. Stillersfan

Stillersfan New Member

I never buy anything @ Gander, or Cabelas as far as ammo is concerned. Actually.. My LGS has better prices.

13. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I put the blame on the government, not the people. If the leftist government would stop their fight on the 2nd amendment, then the prices would go back to better times pricing.

14. Argyle_Armoring

I agree somewhat but in the end it's the consumer's choice and conscious decision to buy overpriced items when it's unnecessary.

15. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I agree with that, but with this government we have now, when is it not necessary to have 'enough'? ;)

16. Argyle_Armoring

"A lack of planning on your part does not constitue an emergency on my part." I understand most people don't plan ahead but they need to. For years on every pay day I would go to Walmart and buy 50 rounds of 9mm and 40 rounds of .223. Now I have plenty of ammo to last me a looooong time and I'm not buying now while prices are so high.

17. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I've no lack of planning ;)

[​IMG]

18. orangello

orangello New Member

I'm just not a big fan of Goosebump's house of Grift anymore. I was never a fan of their prices.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  19. hawkguy

ouch! sad to hear it....I really don't like shelling out the $31 for 100 rounds I see at cabelas. it also seems you can get about any 9 plinking ammo for around 15-16 for 50.

sorry things are still bad in your area.....getting a bit better here.

20. hawkguy

our cabelas prices beat the hell out of gander mountains. gander in at least 20% higher on everything.