Game Camera

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by OandB, Aug 20, 2013.

1. OandB

OandB New Member

Guys,
    Looking for a game camera and was wondering what is everyone's favorite?

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

My own home brewed cameras seem to take the best pics ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

how do you get them to "click" with motion?

4. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I use a commercial board that I buy from a small company , it needs motion with a heat source so it wont go off on just every tree or branch movement . The hardest part is hacking the camera to wire it to that board and make it work properly . The chips in the boards are programmable so I can reprogram the chip as every camera has a dwell time from power on to shutter .

I actually built one for a company 2 yrs ago that used it in their fields to watch the corn and weeds grow and then watch the weeds die after they were sprayed , it took a picture every hour for 12 hrs a day and then shut off at night . They put the pics into a video format and turned a full grow season into about a 5 minute clip . Pretty neat stuff

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Very nice.

6. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

You suck!!!:D
    I wish I had the patience and skill to make my own game camera's.
    Your's look professional,very good job building them.

I've used Bushnell Trophy cameras in the past,but they seem to go bad after a couple seasons.
    This year I bought 2 Browning Recon Force series cameras,and also 2 Primos DPS time lapse day cameras.

The Browning cameras take excellent pictures day and night. I've been very impressed with them. The Primos time lapse cameras are also good with the picture quality,but I don't care for their software that runs the pictures on your PC.
    Both use AA batteries,and have a long battery life.
    I have the Time Lapse cameras set to take a picture every 5 seconds from daylight-dark,and they last about 16 days or around 10k pictures a day. You can view a complete day's worth of pictures in just a few minutes with the software.It's pretty neat watching game come in/out of the area with these,and also knowing what trails they take at different times of the day
    *Note* If you get the Primos DPS camera,buy 2 32gb cards for each one. It takes a very long time to download the pictures to your computer,and it's not something that you will want to do in the field with a laptop. I learned that the hard way!

7. OandB

OandB New Member

Those are really clear pictures. I have heard mixed things about home brew cameras, some say the are too hard to operate. If it wasn't a home brew which commercial camera would you guys use?

8. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

The home brew is very simple . Hang it on the tree , position it where u want it, flip the switch and walk away . If I had to buy a commercial camera I would save my money and buy a recynox. Expensive but they work and are serviceable second choice cuddeback

9. jp_over

jp_over New Member

Subscribed - I'm interested in what game cameras folks are using too. I need one to figure out what's been destroying our garden. The Browning Recon Force BTC 2 looks promising.

10. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

I use the cheap Moultrie cameras and get good pics. Have for years. $80.00 gets me all I need to know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 bucks in this one.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]