Galil Ace

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Mercator, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Has anyone seen this unicorn? First read about it a year ago. It is listed on the IWI web site, that's it. Shotgun News of course tested it and teased the public. Finally an AK with a left hand charger handle, modern sights, composite frame, etc.

Attached Files:

2. MetalWolf

MetalWolf New Member

First I've hear of it but it's Not a bad looking sporting riffle

3. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Atlantic Firearms has it listed for $1.9K, but none are in stock.

It certainly looks cool, but what will it do that a SLR-107FR won't do? You could pay less for a left side charging handle from Davis Tactical Solutions while retaining AK parts compatibility and availability.

Are you really willing to pay two grand for a left side charger AK with peep sights?

4. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Laid my hands on one - the 7.62 cal. pistol version, short barrel, minus buttstock. Impression - a truly modern firearm (most AK's are vintage replicas). A clever sliding dust cover keeps the action sealed as the bolt handle reciprocates. The trigger is better than the OEM trigger on the Tavor. (Which it should be, because it is a sporter by design, not a military rifle)

I don't think it is worth $1800 as a handgun, but as a rifle with a telescopic buttstock it could be a nice alternative to the Tavor.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I kind of kick myself as I had the opportunity to get a South African R-4 for $350 in August of 2001 while on vacation. When we came back through customs, out bags were not even x-rayed (weeks before 9-11). I could have broken it down and put parts in different bags to smuggle it in, but NOOO I have to be all legal and stuff.

I would like a Galil in 5.56. The Galil and the R-4 are the top end AK's (IMHO)

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Merc,
    I certainly hope Galil has improved their triggers from some in the past I have shot! They had a fantastic weapon but the triggers really S***ed.
    How is it on the new Ace Models?

7. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

The trigger is very nice for an AK. The pull is long but smooth. I did not feel any grinding or stacking.

I was incorrect btw that it's originally a sporter. It is a legit assault rifle, adapted like the Tavor.

Speaking of the AK triggers, they need to be reasonably heavy on most AK's, because of the clunky safety. The Ace has a thumb lever at the grip, so a target trigger upgrade would be entirely reasonable. Geissele made one for the Tavor. I really feel this may be the best AK ever :woohoo:

8. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

It's the ATF, again

See "Hole in the Ace" @ Legal and Activism...

9. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Update: all Galil Ace "handguns" are sold out. Not one on gb today. Asking price was... right, evidently. Only $1800 :crazy:

10. Mark_Van_Goth

Mark_Van_Goth New Member

Hm....I would put my hands on one of them too.If anybody finds out where to find one, please let me know.I'm interested in the 23N and 32 versions.
    And btw:If you modify/upgrade an AKM, you will save some money.But it takes a lot of work to match the ACE level.

11. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

The Ace rifle is finally sold on gunbroker at MSRP. Any lucky owners out there?