G30 @ 100 yds?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by vincent, Nov 19, 2011.

1. vincent

vincent New Member

Was talking to a fellow shooter about the G30, he said he was able to hit a silhouette at 100 yds with it. I didn't offer my opinion but was thinking "shenanigans"...what do you all think? Possible? Impossible? Yes, no maybe so??

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Watched a guy on youtube hitting 200 yard silhouettes with a colt 1911.

I say not impossible in the least bit. If it will throw the round that far, then yes, the target can be hit. The bullet will lose so much velocity that it will be pretty much worthless as far as stopping power goes (it will probably still produce a hole and an ER trip on a soft target)

All in all, it's a neat range trick, but impractical as hell. And the question is, can he do it reliably? That makes it an even neater range trick.

Bob Lunden can hit a deer silhouette with a snubbie, at some pretty outrageous ranges (can't remember the numbers, but I think it was well over 200 yards). It's not impossible, but it does get to the point where there's much more luck than skill involved.

The man who helped develop the .44 Mag, Elmer Keith, made 600 yard shots on a large antlered game animal (can't remember if it was elk, caribou, moose or whatnot.)

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=34 I always misspell Bob's name. It's Munden, not Lunden.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011

3. vincent

vincent New Member

I was thinking something along those lines as well. While it probably has enough energy to make that distance, with such a short barrel I can see it "tumbling" too much to be consistent. Cool link Trip, thanks!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Had a Para P18 with J point red dot I cud hit one gallon milk jugs @ 100yds :cool: Well, mabe 3 out of 6 shots :eek:
    Or was it 3 out of 16 :rolleyes:

5. vincent

vincent New Member

Heh heh! I suffer from selective memory too!

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Hickok45 has a YouTube video where he often hits a large gong at 230 yards with a G23, so sure it can be done by a good shooter.

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Once you have the holdover and hopefully an aiming point, you can hit with some regularity. Just have lots of ammo.

8. xtratoy

xtratoy New Member

If you have area where you can see where your misses are hitting it is fairly easy to correct and consistently hit without having to use several boxes of ammo to figure it out.

9. xtratoy

xtratoy New Member

If you have area where you can see where your misses are hitting ( dry dusty dirt ) it is fairly easy to correct and consistently hit without having to use several boxes of ammo to figure it out.

10. vincent

vincent New Member

Yeah, Hickok has some great vids. The guy I spoke with isn't exactly Deadeye Dick which made me think he was blowing smoke.

11. vincent

vincent New Member

That's the reason for the thread, I have the G30 and 100 yards but my frugality with my ammo won't let me try it...maybe I'll sacrifice a few rounds in the name of knowledge next time out.

12. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

At 100 yards, you should be able to outrun the bullet, snatch it out of the air and lob it at the target. ;)

Actually, I'm sure it can be done once you figure out the trajectory.

13. Chris762

Chris762 New Member

My bud and I were able to hit steel man sized targets at 200yds. We were standing so really only about 1/5 shots were hitting...plus out of a G34...slightly cheating...

14. firedawg60

firedawg60 New Member

I've seen hickock45 video of this. I've shot a jug at 100 yards with my 27. Took a couple of shot to zero it in but I did do it.

15. cmc0108

cmc0108 New Member

I was at the range a few weeks ago shooting a 10" target with my g19 at 100 yards. I fired (2) 15 round mags and hit the target 19 times.

I'd say that's pretty good for 100 yards.

16. vincent

vincent New Member

Guys, talking about the .45ACP, not 9mm or .40, out of a short barrel like the G30

17. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I've been running a lot of pistols and 50 yard guns to the 100 yard range

lately.

With a pistol, it's do-able.

For my ammo, neither fun nor

cost-effective.

It's a real eye-opener, for all the folks who've never tried.

Bring a large target, and aim high.

18. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

I think hickock45 does 230 yards

19. therewolf

therewolf New Member

With a G30 pistol????

20. Double_tap

Double_tap New Member

That guys a way above average shooter to start with check out his video about gun accuracy very well done