Firearms Talk banner

G22 or G23

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Jagermeister 
#1 ·
I am a new shooting and am looking for some advice on which .40 cal I would be better off with. I am looking at this for HD and Range shooting. What if any options are there that I should consider (sights, etc...). Thanks.

#2 ·
IMO I would go with the G22. I've shot the G23 and did not like it at all. To me it is to small and had alot of recoil because of the size. I carry a G35 .40 cal. You try and hold each one and maybe even rent to see which one you like. That's the most important is how you feel with each one in your hand.

#6 ·
kirbinster said:
Unfortunately I don't have access to both. I have fired the 23, and while I don't have large hands I found it small in my grip. I have fired both the G17 and G19 and liked the feel of the G17 better.
Well the size of the 17 is the same as the 22. And the 19 is the same as the 23. If you like the 17 over the 19 then you will like the 22 over the 23.

#7 ·
Thanks went in and bought a G22 today, well sort of. I live in the People's Republic of New Jersey, so they are holding it pending the purchase background check which takes a couple of days - totally separate from the one for an FID or pistol purchase permit. Got to love government.

#8 ·
kirbinster said:
Thanks went in and bought a G22 today, well sort of. I live in the People's Republic of New Jersey, so they are holding it pending the purchase background check which takes a couple of days - totally separate from the one for an FID or pistol purchase permit. Got to love government.
I'm glad I don't have to do any of that. No pistol purchase permit or anything.

Walk in fill out one pice of paper work, run background and pay for it. Time in and out 30 min if there is no other customers at the counter.

#11 ·
kirbinster said:
Just got my G22 gen 4 on Wed! I love it! Hitting range again tomorrow! Where in NJ did you find it? Got mine in Lakewood NJ...had a hard time finding it! Called local LGS daily and ended up getting it at my Range! LOL!

#13 ·
That's cool I am in Morris County as well and do visit rtsp often, it's a really good range. I shoot a g17 and a h&k p30. Love them both. I agree about the size, I rented both 17 and 19, and did not like the way the 19 felt. It seemed to have more recoil than the 17

#14 ·
aikimo said:
That's cool I am in Morris County as well and do visit rtsp often, it's a really good range. I shoot a g17 and a h&k p30. Love them both. I agree about the size, I rented both 17 and 19, and did not like the way the 19 felt. It seemed to have more recoil than the 17
I agree, I recently traded my G19 for a G17 because I have fairly large hands and though it doesn't affect my shooting the G17 is a better fit for my hands. But for some strange reason I want the G23 haha

#16 ·
BigRedUSMC said:
23 has my vote. 13+1 and great for concealed carry
My first Glock was the 23, I thought because my wife likes to shoot she would like the smaller profile. Boy was I wrong she hated firing it so I traded it in on a larger 22. She likes it much better and so do I. I'm also a better shot with the larger gun. Although neither (IMO) are ideal ccw due to their rather large frames. I prefer a pocket pistol like the Kahr for that purpose.

#19 ·
Depends. For home defense and open carry I would go with a G22. For CC I would go with a G23. Buy Critical Duty ammo, it is a great police round. I can not get the ammo over here, but I wish I could. Buy some metal night sights and get rid of the plastic ones that comes standard. They do break. Get a flashlight for a home defense gun. The last accessory for a home defense Glock is a 12 gauge shotgun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.