G21SF Recoil Spring Problem

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by NorthMtn, Sep 7, 2011.

1. NorthMtn

NorthMtn New Member

I purchased a Glock 21SF in June of this year and have fired approximately 100 rds through it.

Last week for the first time I noticed that when I remove the slide, the recoil spring (and rod) has become dislodged from where it's seated on the barrel ......sometimes completely detached from the barrel.

Is this the way the gun is designed? My Glock 23 Gen 4 doesn't do this.

2. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I am willing to bet tht isnt supposed to happen, the gun cant function properly without the guide rod in place

3. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

It only happens when you remove the slide?

4. NorthMtn

NorthMtn New Member

Yes, it only happens when I remove the slide. I found another handgun forum with numerous entries that said that G21's are known to do this. And that once the slide is installed the recoil spring assembly disconnects from the seat on the barrel.

I plan to bring it to a Glock tech on Friday morning but thought I'd ask here for input. U own other Glocks and Sigs and none of the others have this trait.

5. NorthMtn

NorthMtn New Member

......meant to read "I own....."

6. NorthMtn

NorthMtn New Member

Additional info.....the slide moves freely and with normal tension when the gun is assembled. When removing the slide I can feel a slight "pop" which must be the point where the spring becomes detached.

7. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Whenever you remove the slide from any glock, you have to reseat the recoil spring assembly. It may not totally come off the barrel, but it does need to be reseated before re-assembly. I am not sure about the 21SF specifically though.

8. glockguy22

glockguy22 New Member

I had a glock 21 for a while and I learned that If u don't set the recoil spring and rod in the lower seat and if it get just a little bit in the higher part it will malfunction. I don't know if that's what u are having a problem with. If not look at the sting and rod closely the rod itself on the ends may be broken or cracked

9. afi1

afi1 New Member

Make sure you are seating the spring in the correct notch prior to re-assembly. I carry a G21(early Gen2) on duty and have no such problems.

10. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I think you're talking about a normal occurrence. The RSA does lift up a little when you install the slide back on the frame. But really there's no where it can go to cause a problem. As long as your gun functions properly when assembled I wouldn't worry where the RSA is when you disassemble.

11. afi1

afi1 New Member

You'll know if you put it together wrong, because you'll have the "Glock erection." The guide rod will be sticking out of the front of the gun, at a slight upward cant, resembling... Well, you'll know it when you see it.

12. NorthMtn

NorthMtn New Member

UPDATE: I took my G21SF to a Glock armorer this week. After a thorough inspection he said that although he doesn't see this issue occur very often, he said that there's no malfunction or flawed recoil spring issue.

Thanks for everyone's input!