G19 slide wont stay open

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by scherfinator, Jul 8, 2013.

1. scherfinator

scherfinator New Member

Here is my issue. My G19 Gen 3 slide will not stay open after the last round. It is a gen 3. I have a G17 and shot them side by side thinking maybe it was my thumb hitting the slide release, its not. My G17 has not problems. Next, I tested several different types of ammo thinking maybe the ammo was too weak. I tried my +p Double Tap defensive ammo and after the last round it still did not stay open. I took the slide off and inserted an empty mag to see if the mag pushed up on the slide release and it did so there is no problem with insufficient spring "push". This is happening with about 95% of my mags. This Glock is brand new and these mags are Gen 4 mags. Did I maybe just get a lemon and I need to send it to Glock. Is there anything else I could do to test it out?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Magazines are the Achilles heel of a semi-auto.

If your firearm is under warranty, go that route first.

Because it seems to happen with different magazines, I would suspect the slide stop itself.

3. scherfinator

scherfinator New Member

I did put an aftermarket Glock slide release. The ones on the G34/35.

4. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

Then put the original slide stop/release back in and see if it works.

It's usually best to shoot a new gun a while to get to know the gun better before you start changing out parts. Well, that's my opinion.

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Double check that you put it in right. Many people mess up putting it in because it is so simple. You may have just hooked it wrong.
    If that isn't the problem then it is either a bad release or a mag issue as stated.
    I'm leaning towards a release based issue.

6. scherfinator

scherfinator New Member

I should have stated that i had the guys at Glockmeister install it. Ill have the original put back in and see if it still does it.

7. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

If you paid someone to install it if return to them with the issue, I had an aftermarket slide release(extended) in my Gen3 G19 and never had an issue.

8. Kraj

Kraj New Member

Take the slide off and insert a empty mag. If the slide release does not rise then then it is installed wrong

9. scherfinator

scherfinator New Member

I had the original put back in and took her shooting over the weekend. First three mag did not stay open, fourth did. I think I'm going to call Glock.