34,626 Posts
Reactions: Coyote Ugly

·
Registered
542 Posts

·
Administrator
27,134 Posts
Funny hunting story- dove hunting w/ best friend. He is using an over/under. Doves were coming in low, fast, straight at us. Dave had just fired twice, here comes another. Reaches in his pocket, grabs shell, drops shell in barrel, eyes locked on bird, snaps gun shut throws it to his shoulder and CLICK. Puzzled, he lowers his muzzle, followed by Shhh-ooooop! And his chapstick slides out of the barrel and drops to the ground.

Yeah- THAT was what he had grabbed out of his pocket.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Okay, here's mine.
Early 2000s, hunting in So CO with my Dad. I had a mule deer tag, he had an elk tag. About day three, i was worn out. I had gone pretty high up day before. So, i decided to hunt with Dad.
About 1000 AM we settled on a short ridge watching a nice game trail and stream below us. Both of us sitting at the base of large ponderosa pines. About 10 minutes after we sat down, we spot a small (200 lb) black bear following our trail ... from upwind... weird.

He starts up the ridge straight for us. When he is about 50 feet away, i start to reach for my camera. Dad is 10 feet in front of me. Bear continues and finally stops on a downed log. Starts waving his head back and forth, stands up, huffs. By this time, Dad has had it. He jumps up , arms flailing and yells "Boogely! Boogely! Boogely!" .
My camera caught a black streak and nothing more, as this poor soul of a black bear didnt hit the ground for what looked like 100 feet!

I chastised Dad, " Dad! I was trying to get a picture! " He astutely retorts, " You remember that time you wanted to get a picture of that buffalo? " "Yes"... " You remember that time in Jim Bridger you wanted a picture of that moose?" " Yes, fine, you win."🙄

It wasn't for several weeks that I realized my eating homemade beef jerky (and logically spitting out the gristle) as we walked all morning might have had something to do with the visit from said bear! 🙄😂
Heck no! I never told him.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Worked with a guy was telling us about going on an armadillo hunt. This wife had spent all weekend putting in flower beds.

Monday night, armadillo had rooted through and destroyed it.

Gets it fixed up and Wednesday, armadillo pays a visit.

Redoes the flowers, again. Friday night, about 10, they are have gone out to eat. Getting home, he turns into drive, headlights sweep across front of house. THERE THAT SOB IS! Right at the end of the flowers bed, just at edge of light, on the shadows.

He steps car and slops up the drive. Goes in the back door and gets his 10-22.

Sneaking around the corner, he looks down through the flowers bed. Can't see a thing.
He walks out to the car. Wife asked why he hadn't shot? He tells her at was gone. She points, no, it is right there, hasn't moved.

He braces against the door and shoots. The armadillo jumps and starts hissing. He shoots again. And again. And again
Every time the armadillo jumps and IRS still hissing.

He keeps shooting, until out of ammo. The armadillo had stopped jumping and hissing.

He smugly parks the car, telling wife, that pos won't be digging up flower beds.

The next morning, he is having coffee and reading the newspaper. His son comes in crying, carrying his brand new football that is full of holes.

·
Premium Member
4,585 Posts
I don't go near 'dillos. They carry leprosy for one thing though not likely to spread it to man I've read. Sounds morbid but the funniest thing about them is seeing them blow up into small pieces when shot with a lead point spitzer from a .223 when on my rural place. They explode leaving very small pieces of shell and I just let the 'yotes take care of the clean up. Same with trash pandas, they both carry diseases. I have a perch on the back porch with a rail I use as my rifle rest. A lead point bullet is a super wicked varmit bullet with a fast 223 or 556 load.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
I don't go near 'dillos. They carry leprosy for one thing though not likely to spread it to man I've read. Sounds morbid but the funniest thing about them is seeing them blow up into small pieces when shot with a lead point spitzer from a .223 when on my rural place. They explode leaving very small pieces of shell and I just let the 'yotes take care of the clean up. Same with trash pandas, they both carry diseases. I have a perch on the back porch with a rail I use as my rifle rest. A lead point bullet is a super wicked varmit bullet with a fast 223 or 556 load.
Used to eat armadillo on occasion as a kid. Scariest thing about them was the ones you didnt see until you walked right up on them and they popped straight up in the air! Scare the bejeepers out of you.

·
Administrator
27,134 Posts
Armadillos, prairie dogs and groundhogs- my ancient, there must be better, when did they start making THAT rifle. .220 Swift, 52 grain bullets. Like Clark Gable, they are "gone with the wind"

·
Premium Member
15,244 Posts
101 - 120 of 120 Posts