funnel mag/ quick reloading

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by field, Jul 12, 2009.

1. field

field New Member

which guns in your experience have had the easiest mags to insert therby allowing the fastest reload times? i thought a couple of those glocks i fondled at the gunstore had some pretty smooth operation with that and the xdm i have is pretty decent i can load a mag in pretty quick, that was one thing i didnt like about this one 1911 i looked at was you kind of need to be more careful and precise when inserting the magazine it would take more practice to get really fast with it.

so which handguns are best for fast reloads?

2. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Good question and you already mentioned a couple, another would be the Smith family of M&P's. All have quick mag insert and release, besides their realizability and accuracy and are used by many tactical shooting competitors for that same exact reason, including myself. That's just MHO though. :)

3. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

HKS Products, Inc. makes magazine speed loaders.

Kahr mags insert easily.
    +1 on the M&P series as being easy loaders.
    Sig's mags insert relatively easy.

4. WDB

WDB New Member

I'm truly happy with the ease of loading mags in my S&W M&P's, easy to do with out taking my eye off the target/threat. The Ruger P series is almost as good. Glocks seem to always need that extra hard tap to set the mag. The 1911's is the perfect pistol but needs attention when changing mags. I know there are 1911 guys that can do this as fast but they are what the rest of us auto loaders aspire to be.

5. layton

layton New Member

That is really what dry practice is for, not only for target acquisition, but also for speed mag changes, all part of getting to know your weapon.

Layton

6. WDB

WDB New Member

Good point Layton,
    Practice, practice and then practice more. What do you carry or shoot often?

7. layton

layton New Member

I have a 4 and a 3 inch Springfield Armory ACP 45, and I keep 4/5 thousand rounds in stock for practice. I dont really practiced rapid fire, just draw and double tap, then slow directed shots, try to place where I want on target, the main object is to put the rounds where you want them to go.

Layton

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Any double stack pistol will be easier to reload than a single stack because you are inserting a tapered mag into a wide mag well. WTS, The STI's (especially with a mag funnel) are really fast.

With practice you may find you are waiting for the empty mag to fall while trying to insert the fresh one. A weighed base plate (Dawson) will help the empty mag to fall out faster.