Fundamental help

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by jyack45, Aug 25, 2012.

1. jyack45

jyack45 New Member

Just got back from the range with my 308 and my xd9... Shot the 308 great but noticed when im shooting my xd my bullets were low and to the left....i was shooting about 10 yards and keeping same sights throughout the day....any advice on what i may be doing wrong for my shots to be low?

2. jyack45

jyack45 New Member

Thanks...i guess i just need more practice and maybe more discipline when im shooting...but i will never stop lol

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If you are right handed you could be over gripping the pistol. If you put too much thumb pressure in the grip, it tends to rotate the gun to the left when you fire. Or if you don't have your trigger finger in the right place you may push the pistol to the left when you squeeze the trigger.

Dropping rounds downward often indicates that you are anticipating recoil and trying to force the muzzle down before it even has risen under recoil.

If you can, go buy some snap caps and let someone else mix them in with the rounds in your mag. You will then probably be able to see what you are doing that you can't see when the gun actually fires.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

5. refugeepj

refugeepj New Member

my weapons are all more accurate than am i. when i fail to properly alaign my sights and or snatch at the trigger rather than smoothly press the trigger, my results are lousy. most of the time it is pretty good but when i struggle i know it is back to the basics. sight picture and trigger press above all else. grip and stance are important of course but if i don't press the trigger with good sight picture forget i might as well stand on my head and pass gas.

6. jyack45

jyack45 New Member

Thanks alot..this sounds like what i am doing and is great advice...another buddy of mine said i was probably putting too much pressure on the grip...i am looking forward to getting back to the range and putting these tips to the test...thanks again everyone

7. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

If it makes you feel any better, you're not the first one to be afflicted with the "low-left" problem, particularly shooting the XD line of pistols.

Once you achieve the proper sight picture, illustrated in tacticalfun's posts, and can perfect the correct grip and trigger "press" mentioned by SSGN-Doc and refugeepj, you'll be well on your way.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  8. jyack45

jyack45 New Member

I just got back yesterday from the range and i loosened my grip a little and what a diiference it made!!...still slightly low...but nothing compared towhat it was and no more pulling left.... was very pleased with how i shot and thanks everyone for the pointers

9. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

Solid advice here!

10. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Never underestimate the importance of dry firing. It's like a boxer, spending hours upon hours on the heavy bag, speed bag, focus mits, etc...

I've read and believe that dry firing helps condition you to not flinch in anticipation of recoil. I like to balance a penny flat on the top of the slide, and practice dry firing that way.

X2 on mixing snap caps in your magazines. I like to mix snap caps and spent shells in 5 different magazines, then mix up the magazines so I don't know what's coming.

Of course, always practice the fundamental safety rules when dry firing. 'I thought it was empty/ thought it was just a training round.'. Is heard way too often in my opinion.

I might get some heat for this, but if you can't get to an instructor, I recommend getting the Magpul pistol training DVD. I've been shooting for over 2 decades, and still learned a lot from that DVD.

11. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I've never done this for shooting, but I've done it for boxing and archery, do I know how awesome it works.
    Take a camcorder with you to the range, I bet your phone probably has one. Set it up, or have someone else record you. Film the things you want to work on, and review the footage on your down time. Make notes on what you need to improve. I've found this to be one of the best things for improving yourself.