fun targets

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by christopherg8106, Jun 7, 2010.

1. christopherg8106

christopherg8106 New Member

hi ya'll, first post, i've owned a 10-22 for about 10 years, but just recently overhauled it and turned it into a tack driver! what a blast to shoot, been shooting golf balls, charcole, pez, bottlecaps, clay target pieces, and alot of paper, but the coolest thing i've found so far is sidewalk chalk, i stole it from my kids, score it with a knife and break it into chunks, when you hit it it turns into very colorful balls of smoke. what are some of the cool things you folks shoot? oh also just bought some strike anywhere matches, and have been trying to strike them with a shot, i've broken plenty but no fire yet, has anyone done this?

2. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I learned this in Texas from a chef. Fill a coffee can with flour, leave the top open. when you hit the can a large puff of white flies into the air. You can shoot it over and over.

3. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I like to set up old frying pans and go back really really far so there is a delay between shot and hit so I know I hit it.SHOOT-----Ping!

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Empty shotgun hulls. The .22's come out after the bigger stuff is shot. Always plenty of 12 ga hulls.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Crackers. Eggs. Hung by Tape/ thread. For days that you are feeling froggy, poker chips. Ice cubes- no cleanup needed. Cardboard standup figure of Jane Fonda (Vietnam vets only, please) :p

6. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I like to glue asprin onto cardboard to shoot at out to 50 yards, Peppermints out to 100. I used to shoot golf balls wit ha 9mm years ago. Man those things will take off sometimes..:p

7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I tried a live shell someone had reloaded and had not crimped it correctly. Only the wad. I shot the primer on my 1st attempt w/ my Browning A-bolt .22WMR at 30 yards. I really could not see the primer, only the glint from the brass. Lucky shot!
    Rosie O'Donnell dolls are always fun, full soda cans, clays....

8. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

My late uncle used to hang a big piece of white paper up and put some rotten food under it,and when the flies would land on the paper he would shoot em.

9. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Wow! really??? From how far out? That sounds interesting.

Man I'd love to have a standee like that!

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Got mine from the video store. Met her demise holding a taget at point 10 day my team was doing annual qual fire. Released safeties, and 20 holes appeared in target.

11. Pat-inCO

Pat-inCO New Member

- - - IF YOU ARE SHOOTING INTO A GOOD BANK - - -

Cut some six inch squares of cardboard and paint them any color that is easy to see against the bank color (I like red and yellow - - red on one side yellow on the other). Throw them out on the bank and blaze away. The will hop with a good hit.

Pick them up when you are done and have fun again the next time you are out. :D

12. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

This may be politicaly incorect but we have had a fruit shoot. old fruit from the store oranges kiwi watermellons you get the point. A bit of a hastel to clean up but it's a blast:D.
    F.K.

13. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Biodegradable and edible. What's there to clean up? Come back a day or two later and the critters will have done all the work for you.

R Lee Ermey has it right... watermelons, lots of enemy watermelons.

14. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

F.K. reminded me. Frozen pumpkins in the late fall. Eco friendly target.

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

For all you guys that are watching TOP SHOT on the History Channel and digging the exploding targets in the eliminations.

Tannerite

This stuff is so cool, it should be illegal. I have never tried it, and apparently there are some Copy Right Infringers out there selling a product that does not work properly - but this stuff looks like fun.

JD

16. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

Ditto on the aspirins - we tape them onto black cardstock poster board. The first time I was introduced to this, I got my clock cleaned by a twelve year old boy! 'Course, he had been shooting competitively since he was nine, and Daddy had built him a very nice Ruger 10-22 comp rifle. My old Marlin 60 was NO competition for him! Hehehe...... :D
    Potatoes against the back berm - explode nicely when hit!
    12 gauge empties - hit them just right and they SPIN up into the air! Cool!
    Soda cans on the 110 yard berm was pretty easy - the soda bottle caps were much more fun and challenging!

We use the bright yellow foam practice golfballs - start close with .22 pistols, then transition to rifles when they get out further! They don't fly as far as real golfballs when hit - you get more whacks before having to go bring them back!

The white 'wedding cookies' on the berm - great fun - and biodegradable too!

17. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

The wild melons (my uncle called them citron melons) that grow below the Gnat Line in south Georgia and Alabama. They'll absorb lots of .22 rounds, but will explode with flying chunks when hit with an ought-six, .44 mag or 7mm Rem Mag. :)

18. group17

group17 New Member

Got tired of shooting regular bulls eye targets so I use zombie targets. You can find them for free on the web and if your handy with design programs mod them any way you like. Helps to have a printer at work that does 11" x 17" paper. Just an option.

[​IMG]

19. Turbojet

Turbojet New Member

I like shooting ice cubes. They explode like glass without the problems.

20. GatorDude

GatorDude New Member

I wouldn't recommend shooting into a bank. :eek: Good thing most banks suck anyway with all those crazy interest rates and bogus fees. :rolleyes: