Fun stories from WWII

Discussion in 'History' started by jebsca, Mar 7, 2012.

1. jebsca

jebsca New Member

Was telling someone one of my grandpa's WWII stories, and wanted to share with y'all.

When he was in Germany, he had a few chances to hunt. One time, they found a rabbit a few hundred yards away, and decided to shot it with his 1911, still out a few hundred yards. He told me that he was lobbing the rounds in and trying to adjust. After a few rounds, he got the rabbit.

I still think, how crazy was Germany, that this rabbit would sit still as he worked his point of impact closer?

2. RustyShackleford101

RustyShackleford101 New Member

Nice story, I've got an old frien that was a ranger- nazi killer in ww deuce

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

From the book Curahee- Training in England before D Day, 101st Abn, night jump. Drop zone was to be marked with a bonfire. Troopers looking out at the other aircraft flying in formation with them. Jumpmaster comes back, gives the word- get ready to go out on your reserve parachutes- do NOT hook up your static lines. We have gotten mixed in with a bunch of German bombers.
    Looked back out, and realized plane next to them was NOT a C46, but a German JU88 bomber.

The stick jumped, made it OK, but half the stick got rounded up by the British Home Guard who thought they were invaders.

4. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Pee soup......

My father was a WW2 Vet and allways remembers the cook, every one picked on him. They finnaly decided to give the guy a break and told him they would no longer harrass him, to which he replied thanks, I'm not going to pee in the soup any more......As a medic during the war, when they ran out of morphine they would give the wounded bottles of wine that was taken from the cellars of the French civilians......The proudest day of my father being in the Service was delivering a baby in a cellar during a bombing raid in france.......His worst time was when the Airforce dropped thier bombs on thier own men durring the battle of the Bulge.......

5. Georgiahunter

Georgiahunter New Member

I was told a story by my dad about one of my great-uncles. While he was in the Battle if the Bulge he also went hunting, whether he was allowed to or not I don't know. Anyway, he shot a huge stag and was thought of as the hero of the unit for a while for getting fresh meat. The funny thing is, I don't know if he had ever been deer hinting before because Georgia's deer population used to be waaaaaay less than it is now. Back then they mostly quail hunted.

6. Jkl-28

Jkl-28 New Member

So growing up my parents always went to church and they dragged me along, well I remember this WWII vet that used to go to the same church as us, his name was Charles but he went by chuck, anyways I remember him telling me a few stories about the war when I was about 11-12 he was a paratrooper in the 82nd airborne, he was telling me what he went through on D-day
    He was telling me how he got separated from everyone during the jump and when he landed he could hear Germans near him and he was scare to move with them so close by him so he stayed n hid in some bushes he had landed close to, and I guess he was there for hours then when he didn't hear them anymore he decided to move n look for other American troops.
    And as he was wondering trough the french country side he came across a farm house so he went toward it and he went into the basement/cellar and went he walked in there was a German around the corner sitting over a small fire cooking some kind of potato soup,
    I guess they both just kinda stared at each other and when chuck was that the german was reaching for his rifle he shot him with his Thompson then he pushed the body out of the way and ate the soup, then after he finished the soup he carried on till he found other G.I.s

7. Cathy123

Cathy123 New Member

My father was in WW2. He was with the 1St Armored Division. He told me when he first entered the Army, they still used the Calvary Unit! Yes, I mean they still had horses! He was with the first unit to be armored. He said the tracks would come off all the time, and that the Germans had a much better advanced tank.
    He was in Anzio, the Battle of the Bulge, Lucerne and Rome, etc.

8. Cathy123

Cathy123 New Member

Has anyone else noticed that their parent from WW2 never talked about their experiences until many years later? Not until close to the end of his life, would he tell about what he went through. He was buried @ Arlington National Cemetery with full honors.

9. Vincine

Vincine New Member

And these are fun stories?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  10. Cathy123

Cathy123 New Member

Well, their was the time Dad said he got drunk and took a motorcycle and drove it over a pipe that reached across a creek. He didn't make it !
    It ended up in the creek some 15' below the pipe! :0))

11. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

My dad was in the European Theatre, regular Army grunt. He didn't talk about the war much, but there was one story I do remember he told us.

Anyone serving abroad looks forward to packages from home and always did. The guys in my dad's outfit had one guy that made it a point to get his hands on whatever he could that anyone got in a CARE package from home, especially candy and such. The problem was that they couldn't figure out who the thief was. He was good. Well, my dad and a couple of other guys in his barrack decided to fix the pilferer once and for all. They got their hands on a bowl and a big package of chocolate Ex-Lax. You can probably figure out the rest yourselves. Within two days after they put the bowl of "candy" out, they had their culprit with his pants down....literally!!

12. andyfromlyle

andyfromlyle New Member

My grandfather was in WW2. He was a Navy Seabee. He would tell me stories about digging trenches while both armies fought around him, apparently both sides wanted the trenches so bad EVERYONE would avoid wounding him and his fellow Seabees. Made for some interesting close calls with no fatalities.

He also gave me a machete that he sent home during the war. Said a sniper took out one of his friends each night for a weak before he tracked the sniper and... Claimed that machete.

13. Vincine

Vincine New Member

My parents were in Sicily during the war. The Allies dropped leaflets telling people they to get out of town before they advanced and cleared town. My mom said their valley was taken by Canadians who had been given the choice to serve the rest of their sentence in prison, or serve in the army and be set free. She said only the Scottish officers could control them.

She had left a note on the dining room table in English explaining the house was owned by an American and that they were here when the war started, and so on and so forth and please don’t take or destroy anything, etc. When the ‘front’ had been pushed back and they had secured the valley, it was safe to return to town. Their house had been broken into and cleared. A lot of them were. The house had been tossed and busted up, right up to the note. Everything after the note was untouched.

I do remember a cabinet that appeared to have had been busted open with a rifle butt.

14. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Fact or fiction........

When my father was in boot camp he and the rest of the company gave one particular soldier hell. It seems during training that no one was to flinch a muscle or bat an eye. Well this one guy swats a huge horse fly that was sucking the blood out of his hand, The DI jumped his arse and the whole platoon had to suffer. He ordered the private to pick up the horsefly and find a match box to put it in. The next morning they were to bury the box with the deceist. The DI had them dig a 6x6 hole to put the box in. And upon covering they could not end up with a mound of dirt or an impression, it took them three trys before the DI was satisfied......Being a farm boy my father felt like he was back on the farm........:)

15. randrew379

randrew379 New Member

My girlfriend's grandfather was a WWII pilot, but flew no combat missions. He was on the detail for the conference at Yalta- ended up flying a decoy plane- and met Roosevelt. Later, he flew Truman alot. He was asked to fly Air Force One detail, but by that time he 'd had enough of the military.

He flew Delta for years- still owns some commercial flight speed records. Earl Epperson.

16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

A loooong time ago I worked with a Leutnant in the Wehrmacht on the Russian Front. He was captured (SS were killed) and sent to work on a farm. The farmer was in the Russian Army. He moved right in with the wife and spent the rest of the war as a farmer. This was pretty common and a lot of captured German soldiers never went home. He escaped after the war and ended up in Alaska. I could see why he was captured. He had a terrible sense of direction.

17. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The Army in their typical brilliance taught my dad who spoke Italian to speak Chinese and sent him to the Pacific.:confused: My Uncle who also spoke Italian was sent to Italy in the artillery. I guess he could write messages on the shells in Italian.

18. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

I had 3 uncles in WWII, brothers they were. One was a combat engineer, wounded 3 times in the Atlantic theater. One brother was in the 200th costal artillery in Batann, survived the death march, hell ships and starvation. He stated the closest he ever came to being killed was at the end of the war before being released, American bombers would drop food onto the POW camps. He was laying in his bunk when a 5 gallon can of American pork and beans crashed through the roof, landed between his legs, took his bunk and 2 others to the floor. The last brother was a submarine tender, 200 miles from the closest shot fired in anger and swears the closest post war show to accurately depict his experences was McCale,s Navy.