Fun Shoot Involving Eggs

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by SGWGunsmith, May 10, 2018.

1. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

Now that the fields around here have turned from white to green, there's been some talk about having an "egg shoot" with .22 rifles at varying distances.
    One of the chicken farmers has a batch of free roamers that lay eggs where he doesn't find 'em for a day or two. He collects those for us and then they are set on golf tees at varying distances from 20 to 100 yards. The golf tees are set at odd yardages like 27 yards, 34 yards, 77 yards and so on. Five shots at five eggs. Lots of fun and targets are biodegradable.

2. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

A freshly layed egg won't go bad for over a week, unless it is laying in the direct sunlight !.........

3. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like a good time.

SGWGunsmith likes this.
  4. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

Our club has been going egg shoots for many years, except today they use golf balls. They are shot from 25 to 200 yards.

The indoor range I belong to has them as well. 3. 5, 7, 10, 15, and 20 yards. The indoor range has a variation that is fun. They take a board that stretches across all 8 lanes. The golf balls are drilled to accept a bamboo skewer which are stuck into the board. The balls are constantly moving from hits from other shooters.

At the home range we do something similar, we hang charcoal briquettes and shoot them from various ranges. If the completion gets close we shoot NECCO wafers to sort out the winner!

5. aarondhgraham

aarondhgraham Active Member

Last year I went to my range in the dead of summer,,,
    Someone had shot a dozen or so eggs a day or two before.

The stink at the target berm was dreadful.

Aarond

303tom likes this.
  6. SGWGunsmith

After a good rain or two, that'll go away.

When we have Family Range Day in August, I handle the .22 rimfire handgun range. Mainly for the kids, I changed the target from boring paper bullseye targets to reactive targets the kids really seem to enjoy. I have one "zombie" target and on the backing board I staple a small zip lock bag filled with green dish soap. when the kids hit that bag green slime leaks down the board.
    Then we have dum-dum lollipops that I get from the Dollar Store. They have 1/8 diameter sticks and when the kids hit the ball of candy they shatter all over the place. I tried charcoal last year and it did go over pretty well, along with golf balls, bowling pins from the local Bowlarena that they were gonna throw out anyway. A few knock-over and flipper steel targets. And then a whole bunch of bags of cheap crackers and cookies. We quit with the balloons...........to messy to clean up.

7. SGWGunsmith

It really is, especially if you get the right group of people. Friendly chiding & teasing gets folks laughing and having fun. Some of our shooters claim they have this tack driver .22, and when they miss an egg at 27 yards, somebody will say, "Hey! Maybe we should shoot at tacks". Get to meet some neighbors I don't see real often.

8. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

which is one reason golf balls replaced eggs I think.