fun projects

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Marlinman, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Just for ideas and giggles sake i decided to start this thread. Since im startin it ill lead off. Mine at the moment is rechambering a heavey barreled remington 700 30/06 to 35/06. Its a heavy kreiger target bbl set in a mcmillan a-5 stock with harris bi-pod and a timney trigger. Once i have it bored out ill button rifle it w a 1:10 twist. Any suggestions are good

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

2. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I have never heard of a 35-06, but now I feel like I need one. :D Is it like a 35 Whelen? How do they shoot?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012

3. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Im taken 30/06 and borin it out for 35 rem bullets w 06 casings. And i dont know how itll shoot. Just sounded like a good project. I like 06 power and 35 cal bullets. Might be a good caliber for elk just not sure yet.

4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

If memory serves it pretty much is the Whelen.

5. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

sweet. Don't forget to post some pics. :D

6. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I don't have a project but I would like to get a hold of some very cheap broken down guns and see if I can clean them up and get them shooting. Someone posted on another thread he got 3 revolvers for $75.00 and he got them fixed up, cleaned and shooting. For that price, I'd love to work on a gun, see what I can learn and give it a try. I don't know where to get a broken down gun, though.

Also, I was told I would be receiving an AR lower receiver but I haven't gotten it yet. I hope the deal still goes through.

7. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Good place to look for guns like that is pawnshops, auctions, and swap meets.

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

jared, that is a 35 Whelen. a 30-06 necked up to use .358 diameter bullets. people liked the round because it gave good knock down power without having to use magnum cartridges and would work with larger weight bullets than the 30-06, plus would work in standard long actioned rifles. i really think this might be a good gun to build! sounds like fun.

9. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I thought it was after aaron said something bout it. Im also gonna build a scout rifle chambered in either 50 ae or 454 cassull....or both since the kits only $300 apiece;) they are supposed to be single shot bolt guns but i think i can make em take a box magazine if i can make the mags. Iv had pretty good luck with that so far so it should work out awesomely.

10. mausershooter

mausershooter New Member

Hello! I'm new here. I hope I'm replying correctly. The 35 Whelan is an awsome cartridge. There is also the 350 Howell. At one time you could buy properly stamped Howell brass.

11. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Mauser welcome to the forum. Make sure you stop by the intro section and well provide us with a intro :D

12. Soliferrum

Soliferrum New Member

im in the drafting phase for a 2 piece rectangular shroud that covers the entire barrel and gas tube of my AK. i hope to provide a stable system since it fits into the receiver to mount optics instead of hoping my gas block is perfectly assembled straight. Plus my front site post is cockeyed so my iron sights are frickin useless. this will count as an american made part on it right?

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

if you made it in america yeah. i would stamp it in an obscure spot made in the usa if your worried about it.

if your talking about that compliance list BS. it wont count. there is a specific list of parts that count.

14. Axxe55

jared, this scout rifle idea sounds interesting. something along the lines of the 454 Casull in a carbine type rifle maybe? please tell us more about this one.

15. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Think bolt action rifle in the rossi handi rifle size. Or the same size as a mossberg plinkster. Im thinkin it will be a take down rifle that can be used for a heavy caliber survival rifle. Its jist an idea right now. I have two kits on order....just dont know what calibers.

16. mausershooter

mausershooter New Member

Originally Posted by axxe55

jared, this scout rifle idea sounds interesting. something along the lines of the 454 Casull in a carbine type rifle maybe? please tell us more about this one.

Think bolt action rifle in the rossi handi rifle size. Or the same size as a mossberg plinkster. Im thinkin it will be a take down rifle that can be used for a heavy caliber survival rifle. Its jist an idea right now. I have two kits on order....just dont know what calibers.

What action or receiver are you using?

What 2 kits do you have on order?

17. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

They are built off from remington 700 short action and they are from dakota arms. Im not positive but i think they are a very select group can order type of thing. I know they told me the only reason i was able to get em is because of who my mentor/partner is. All the are is the barrel, adjustable trigger, and synthetic stock. The stocks i dont think im gonna use though. I think im gonna have em made custom by boyds. Just not sure until i have em in my hands.

18. Axxe55

jared, keep me posted as to how this turns out and when you get the parts in. sounds very interesting, and would like to learn more about it. thanks.

19. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Can do. Hey what happened to your pms man?

20. Axxe55

thanks jared. the pm is working again, computer mishap!