Fun machine guns???

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Zombiegirl, May 27, 2012.

1. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

My husband and I are going to a place that rents machine guns in a couple of weeks to have some fun because we have never shot them. We have to narrow our decision down to a few. Any suggestions? He for sure wants to shoot the Glock 18.

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Thompson Sub Machine Gun. Pretend you're Bonnie and Clyde.

3. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I have never shot a machine gun, but there are a few that I would love to shoot. (I'll leave out the .50 BMGs since you probably wouldn't want to pay that much for ammo. :D)

Thompson M1928A1 submachine gun-----(600–1500+ rpm)(45 ACP)

M249 light machine gun (SAW)-----(750-1000 rpm)(5.56x45mm NATO)

AK-47-----(600 rpm)(7.62x39mm)

AK-74-----(650 rpm)(5.45x39mm)

M16/M4-----(650-950 rpm)(5.56x45mm NATO)

M1919 Browning machine gun-----(400-500 rpm)(30-06)

H&K MP5 submachine gun-----(800 rpm)(9mm parabellum, but some come in 10mm or .40 S&W)

IIRC, there is also a full auto Ruger 10/22. That would be the cheapest to shoot.

Just a few I'd like to shoot. :D

4. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Definitely the Tommy Gun. It is a classic. I would also like to shoot the Dillon Minigun. Not likely that will be available, or if it is I wouldn't be able to afford whatever they charge to shoot it.

I have always wondered what an Uzi was like to shoot full auto but strangely I have never had a desire to shoot one.

A full auto AR/M16 would be cool as would a Mini-14. Just to try it out. I think the Mini-14 would be harder to control than the AR/M16. Let us know how it goes!

5. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

At $60 per gun plus ammo, All is not an option. I wish though because they have a ton!

6. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

A 1919
    And the mg42 I would love to shoot.

7. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

There are so many "fun" machine guns. All of them, basically. :D

But if you have never fired one, and want something easy to "learn" on, see if they have an American 180 or a Mac 11 in .380 with a full stock and suppressor. Both of those will let you write your name on the target if you want to.

Have fun!

8. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

They actually send an instructor with you which is great!

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

And he will load your mags for you, most likely. Keeps you shooting more ammo. Haha.

10. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have shot a Thompson Sub Machine gun. It was an absolute blast and the chance of a lifetime.

I have also shot an Uzi......but not full auto. It was one of the very first guns I shot and it made me look like I knew what I was doing. I loved the ring of the metal targets as I hit them.

11. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Call me old fashioned, but I LOVE the Uzi SMG. Much prefer it to the MP5. Gotta have the original wood stock, though. Not the folder.

12. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

A Lebanese friend of mine said that the Uzi was unimpressive. He had some experience to back it up. I have fired the MP5 in semi-auto. Loved it. In the right configuration it would be a great full-auto firearm.

13. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

The Thompson was what I am leaning towards and then we will pick a third jointly. They do have full auto Uzis there.

14. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Remember the proper definitions here.

An automatic weapon that fires handgun ammo is a SUB-machine gun.

Don't forget to bring your ear plugs.

You'll have a blast.

15. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Don't believe anybody has violated the "definitions".

A sub-machine gun goes RAT-a-TAT-TAT-TAT.

A machine gun goes BBBBRRRAAAAAPPPPPPP!

16. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I used to be associated with a wealthy machine gun collector and class III dealer, and would go shooting, on occasion, with him and his friends. Ammo was not an issue as he provided it all. I shot a lot of machine guns, but the one I really enjoyed the most shot .22 LR. It was easily controlled and shot at some amazing rate of fire. (Sorry, I don't remember what gun it was, it was a long time ago)

I also enjoyed the cheap, but reliable Sten. For a pure testosterone rush, it is hard to beat a Thompson. We all have a bit of gangster in us, and it is fun to let out every now and then. Shooting the .50 cal. is something neat to brag about later, but it was not nearly the fun as a hand-held SMG.

I am glad that I got to get the machine gun thing out of my system. As a working stiff, I could not afford to purchase or feed machine guns. A fun day at the range with one of these types of weapons could easily cost me a months wages.

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

M249 SAW.
    My all time favorite.

18. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I am jaded against the MP5 because of two malfunctions I had. One was in an HK 94 and the other was an MP5A3. But they were identical.

Each time, an empty case failed to eject and dropped down into the action. Both required a full tear down to repair. So I don't trust them. I have many friends who used them on duty and loved them, though.

But I have never had a problem with an Uzi.

19. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

More vocabulary. I thought about this some more after signing-off from Zombiegirl's thread.

An automatic weapon that is magazine fed and has a selector for semi or fully auto is not a machine gun either, it is an "automatic rifle."

That is because true machine guns are (1) belt fed and (2) continuously fire "automatically."

Machine gun examples in the USA included the 50 calibre machine gun and the M-60 machine gun.

I have fired both, as part of infantry weapons training. And it was a blast, Zombiegirl, especially at night, when you can see the tracer rounds. American tracers are red.

The M-60 fires 308 ammo that is like holding a fire hose when you shoot it.

The 50-cal must be mounted, normally on a vehicle turrent. It is too powerful to hold and shoot offhand.

So make sure you get hold of a "real" machine gun and shoot that. A lot of talk here has been about sub-machine guns and automatic rifles, instead.