Full sized vs. Compact

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Kenney, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Kenney

Kenney New Member

I own a Walther in 22 but that's about the sum of my knowledge concerning compacts. Let's just assume 9mm so we don't involve caliber. I know they're a bit less accurate but to what degree?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

they arent less accurate they are less capable of hitting a target further away in the hand of the same shooter. solely because of the shorter sight radius. shorter barrel doesnt mean less accurate in the gun itself.

for self defense purposes a compact gun is desirable and does not hinder the shooter in typical 3-5 yard or closer self defense ranges.

3. Kenney

Kenney New Member

Alright, maximum effective range is less. But you get what I'm saying. What's the cost/benefit of a compact?

4. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Well, that depends on what carrying a pistol that's a little bit lighter and a little bit smaller is worth to you. To me, if your carrying OWB, you might as well go full size. If you're going IWB, a compact may be a little easier to carry all day, everyday. Me? I leave my G19 'compact' at home, but then I live in the middle of the forest, not Dodge.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

i carry a springfield xdm 45acp compact. i carry it owb in the holster it came with. the shorter barrel/slide keeps it from sticking out from under my shirt. i can only tell a real diff in accuracy is at the 25 yard line. the compact is about 1.5-2 inches larger in shot grouping than with my full size xdm

i do prefer a full size for most shooting. for sd carry i prefer compacts or smaller.

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

The cost benefit of a compact is simple. If I am running around on my day off or after work I carry a full size. If I am working I am not allowed to carry. So when I am out and about leaving work it is easy to drop a subcompact in my front pocket. To me it is having a gun vs not having a gun.

7. JigSawer40

JigSawer40 New Member

There seem to be a fine line between full size and compact. For example:

My Sigma 9mm is full size and the barrel is 4".

My Sig P250c 40sw is compact and the barrel is 3.9".

That's kinda cutting it close.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  8. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Also the larger guns are more pleasant for most people to shoot. Some compact guns can be painful to shoot after just a dozen or so shots(varies greatly between guns and shooters).

9. Kenney

Kenney New Member

I'd imagine compacts cycle faster due to the lighter slide, but at the same time you'd think felt recoil would be increased. So where do follow up shots come in? If you've read anything I've posted, you know I only like a gun that's capable of turning a target into a pin cushion, and would only consider a compact with comparable capacity.

10. Vincine

Vincine New Member

One shouldn't confuse 'Compact' with 'Sub-compact' which is often a bigger difference then between 'Full Size' and 'Compact'.

11. Kenney

Kenney New Member

Some lines offer 14 9mm in a compact. Most 9mm only take 18 rounds. However, the CZ 75 semicompact has a full size frame with a compact barrel, which sounds pretty decent.

12. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

In many lines, there is a price curve in which the compact models are the least expensive and the smaller sub-compacts are more expensive.

Smaller size has a higher price because people value it in a carry gun. If I am not going to carry it, I think bigger is better, within certain limits.

13. Kenney

Kenney New Member

There's some counter argument to that, but what you're saying makes sense. However, as JonM stated before, the cost in maximum effective range seems minimal, and lines like sig sauer don't even change the price between full, semi and compact.

14. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

This is my Beretta 92L Compact. It is approximately .5" shorter than the regular 92 in the barrel and handle length. The magazine holds 13 rounds. The action is built the same as the full-size models. I don't now how much that half-inch difference makes in accuracy but I seem to be able to hit my targets just fine. The shorter length makes it a litte easier to pack and conceal.

Attached Files:

15. Oblivion9

Oblivion9 New Member

The great thing about handguns is the variety...there is something for everyone whether you value size, weight, capacity, price, or power.

16. JigSawer40

JigSawer40 New Member

Fine looking gun BT. :)

17. 13andloveguns

13andloveguns New Member

Very nice gun

18. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

In 1911s it is very easy full size is 5" while the Commander is 4" and people love it. The officers uses a 3.5" barrel and has the frame shortened plus loss of one rd.

IMHO get the full size for range, Tgt, SD but if you are going to carry it a lot, then the compact makes sense. If the compact is too big & heavy, then go down to micro which is usually 9mm. Mouse guns are great BUGs or for warm weather, super concealment like duties. Hell, Rugers LCP is 9.4 oz. and those NAA revolvers in 22/22mag are even smaller. Amazing tech jump, they mademan itty bitty laser for the NAA set up.

19. mcb

mcb New Member

I have a Glock 27 sub compact, its more accurate than me. I also have a Colt Commander can't tell the difference in accuracy from a full size 1911.

20. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I still and always will have my beloved Colt Series 80 Combat Government Model 1911 but I will be shooting my Beretta a lot more. It is cheaper to shoot and field strip for cleaning.