Full size high cap .45, for smaller hands

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by 2kk2, Oct 16, 2013.

1. 2kk2

2kk2 New Member

Hi everyone, I am looking for a high capacity, full size .45 that myself and my wife can handle easily with smaller sized hands. This will be used primarily for Home Defense and I want to get something she will be comfortable with, that I can easily use as well. Any suggestions? My budget is about $900 max, anything under that, and my wallet would surely thank you.

2. orangello

orangello New Member

That is a tall order: full-sized, in .45acp, good for small handed users.

The best advice is to go to a rental range and find one that fits your hands best.

I find it unlikely that a full-sized pistol in .45acp is going to be very comfortable/controllable in small hands. A full-sized 9mm, sure; a compact in .45acp, sure; but a full-sized .45acp is not small. I am 6'1-2" tall and about 225 pounds, and my XD45 is a hand FULL. I love my XD45 and it's easy-aiming full size and generous 13 round magazines, but it probably wouldn't be comfortable for somebody who wears size S gloves.

I would say try the XD45 compact (can get sleeve for 13 round mags), the Bersa thunder45 UCP (compact .45), and a revolver in some .45 cartridge (45 long colt, 45 acp (no rim, need moon clips), or maybe .44 special (probably a big framed revolver for .44mag though). With a revolver, you can often change out the big squishy grips for slimmer wooden grips that might work better for you.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to try out one of the 1911's with the 4" barrel, but their capacity is not large.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...s_id/41808/Springfield+45ACP+4"+COMPACT+Black

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...r+.45ACP+Ultra+Compact,+7-round,+Matte+Finish

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...+45+Long+Colt45+ACP+w5.5"+Barrel+&+Blue+Finis

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

A tall order on the caliber and high capacity. Why the need for high capacity? 8 and 10 round mags for 1911s are available. A 1911 has a good grip shape, trigger reach, and size for a lot of hands. Has good weight and low bore axis for better control.

I don't feel too bad with 8 rounds of 45 and you can always have a second mag.

4. 2kk2

2kk2 New Member

Great recommendations and thanks for the links. My wife doesn't seem to be comfortable with revolvers, so we're most likely looking for a semi-auto.

The high capacity makes her feel safer knowing she has more rounds in case of emergency. Also we're from NJ where all firearms are maximum 15rd cap, so we tend to try and get as close to that mark as possible.

Right now we have an m&p9mm using the small blackstrap.

5. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

This is a tall order. But we can find something I'm sure.

I think a good starting point would be to get your definition of "high capacity." What's the minimum rounds you want?

You can go all the way up to around 15 or so without getting super bulky.

A good medium sized option would be the ParaOrdinance P13 1911 style pistol. Factory mag in it holds 13. It's an absolute gem to shoot.

But the recoil in any .45 that will fit well in a woman's hands is pretty strong. If your wife has weak wrists or weak hands you may want to drop down to a .40 or a 9mm.

6. 2kk2

2kk2 New Member

I'm looking for 12-15 rounds per factory magazine. I noticed most of the 1911's were about 7-8rds per mag and wanted to have more rounds available.

However I am looking at the para you suggested as we speak.

7. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

The recoil in the paraordinance 1911 style .45 is managed very well. I was shooting my dads at 9 years old. I could blow up tennis ball sized pine cones with it at 15 yards consistently. And I was a very small kid. My sisters can shoot it too. The only one who really doesn't like it has weak wrists.

8. pabloh

pabloh New Member

Find a Glock 21SF (Short Frame) at one of your local gun stores for her to handle and see how the grip feels!
    13+1 rounds of felon repellent!

Pablo : )~

9. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I have small hands. Years ago I acquired one of the Para high capacity frames, was going to built up a gun. The grip, however, did not feel comfortable in my hands. Later, Para introduced a "slim line" version of the high capacity 1911. I had a P-16 with the slimmer frame, and it felt fine in my hands.

10. JW357

JW357 New Member

This isn't what you asked but I honestly don't believe the gun you asked for exists. The small hands thing is the wrench in it all. So my suggestion is a shotgun. A 20ga or a 12ga semi-auto are fairly recoil manageable.

Otherwise, if it has to be a handgun, I suggest a S&W M&P. They all come with adjustable back straps. But then again, it's only 10+1 so that doesn't really qualify either.

11. 2kk2

2kk2 New Member

I am looking into a shotgun next after purchasing the .45. Considering the mossberg 500 or 590 series in12ga.

Going to head out to the local shop now to try out the glock 21sf that was suggested.

Thanks for all the great feedback. Glad I downloaded this forum app last week.

12. JW357

JW357 New Member

Honestly I would just explain to your wife that capacity and caliber are not that important. There's no magic gun or round. Honestly just the sight of the gun will probably scare the bad guy off. That in mind, I would focus more on how the gun feels in her hand, rather than anything else. If she can't shoot it well, no amount of of large hole making bullets in a magazine will allow her magically stop the threat. Again, unless the sight of the gun scares him off.

13. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

This is coming from an avid Glock shooter who loves his Glocks:

Be sure you and your wife shoot a Glock before you buy one. The trigger safety can be easy for small fingers to miss, the trigger reset can be disorienting for anyone and the magazine release button is also hard for small hands to manipulate.

14. 2kk2

2kk2 New Member

She's shot the glock 17 previously without any major problems. However he felt the "girth" of the grip was too large for her to control the recoil comfortably.

But thank you for the heads up on the small details we may not have considered.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

smallest gripped double stack 45 i know of is the xdm. its a bit smaller in grip than the xd and definately smaller than a blo... glock grip

16. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

There's a a reason guns come with more than one mag. And this is one of those reasons....;)

Small hands+Big Bullet=More mags :rolleyes:

Never try to get 10 lb of poo in a 8 lb bag

17. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The S&W M&P .45 is small to me. 10 rd standard mags and 14 round extended mags. That should be plenty of capacity.

18. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

You may want to try the Ruger SR45, it's not truly hi-cap, 10+1, but my wife just got ahold of ours for the 1st time yesterday and can't wait to shoot it.

The true bonus here is, you can afford to buy your HD shotgun AND an SR45 for $900!

And although I only have 120 rounds thru mine, I really like the feel and reliability so far!

19. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I can also ask, why .45?

Nothing magical about any handgun round. Except for the fact that you live in NJ and my understanding is, that means you are limited to no hollow point ammo.

20. orangello

orangello New Member

WTH?

Can they at least get the truncated cone type thing, or is their some ruler to measure by like NASCAR?