Full length gas tube vs. midlength.

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Gojubrian, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I'm searching for a complete upper. for my purpose I've decided it's suited for a full length gas tube instead of a mid length. BUT, where the heck are they??!!??!

Am I out of line here? Just wanting to get different opinions.

I'll be using it for range use/ home perimeter type defense. Atleast, that's my plan. :)

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

There should be no problem finding a rifle length gas system. You are talking about a 20" upper, right? Take a look at BCM and many others.

3. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I'm looking for a 16" upper.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. :eek:

4. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Not a dumb question, just be careful. 16" barrels arent known to function all that great w/ gas ports at the rifle possition.

5. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

What the flip is up with ALL the uppers out of stock/ 5-6week wait??!!

:mad:

6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I know how you feel Goju. Im ready to drop some cash on a new upper but cant find a Spikes, BCM, or DD. Well I know where to get a DD but dont want to wait 6 or more weeks. Who knows when the BCM or Spikes will be available.

7. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Well, at least America is armed well! There's a bunch of folks out there with AR's. Lol

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

rock river arms offers 16" barrels with midlength tubes

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Goju and I were talking recently and he was looking for a full length gas system. That is what he is having trouble finding. The mid length are everywhere right now, as they are the flavor of the moment.

I think Goju and I will need to build him a full length upper with the luck we are having trying to find one in stock. :eek:

10. Car54

Car54 New Member

I just ordered a LMT upper Tuesday, tracking shows it to be at my house next Wednesday. Also, area51tactical.com sent me a "back in stock e-mail" saying Spikes 16" LE M4 are back in stock. Better hurry they go fast.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

ahh i see

i believe delton offers them

12. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

How about a non CHF lightweight 14.5" or 16" midlength BCM or Spikes?

13. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Gojubrain,

Not to be disrespectful! But why would you want a full length gas system on a 16 inch rifle? Just wondering! Unless you just do and think it is cool and the chicks dig it!:D

14. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Goju,

you might want to check out Del-Ton, the fit, finish, and quality on mine is on par with the big boys.

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Respectfully, he asked me and I advised him as such. :(

The full length gas tube is easier on recoil for starters. It runs cleaner because more gas pressure has been created by the powder being burnt prior to harnessing the heated gas and funneling it back into your chamber. In addition the upper has less induced harmonics from the start of the BCG being unlocked prior to round one leaving the barrel.

It's also traditional, which means that anything you should need in a SHTF situation is going to be easier to find because there have been GENERATIONS of the full lengths cycled through gunshops and private hands since the 70's.

AR gun companies created a market with the mid length and it's the flavor of the moment. And that's great. More power to everyone that loves it and I am not taking anything away from those that bought it. Enjoy and allow others their choice.

Now I am sure 9 people are going to stop by, telling me about the performance with their mid length uppers; how reliable they are and how great they shoot and that's fantastic. Once again I am happy for you.

But when you see a bunch of questions about guys changing buffers from one weight to another and you see guys with questions that no one can answer without parroting something they saw on Ar-We-are-So-Awesome-dot-com, it's time to take a look at the problem from a mechanical, how does it work and how was it designed standpoint.

If Stoner thought it was a good idea to harness the gas closer to the chamber, he would have designed it that way.

JD

16. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Absolutely! Thank you Glass!

17. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Yeah!! It's JD's fault!!

lol

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well I'll sure be interested in how this AR turns out. I am a midlength gas lover but have absolutely no experience with a rifle length gas system on a 16" barrel. I've always *heard* in that with a RLGS the barrel should be at least 18" but then they say bumblebees can't fly too. All in all, I have to trust JD's experience here! Also we don't know the carrier mass/buffer/spring and ammo to be used so no doubt JD's got some tricks up his sleeve! :D

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  19. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I won't tell you about my middy's, but remember all that trouble I had with that 16" barrel w/ rifle length system?

Talk about changing buffers. . . there just isn't enough pressure. However, I did exchange it for a 20" barrel with rifle length gas and it is now my best shooting (and least expensive. . . "Scrapy":)) rifle.

Recoil in non-existant and I don't notice much of a difference as far as length and weight. I did go with a LW contour though and would do it again.

20. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Yeah I don't think Stoner ever built a 16" with a rifle gas system either, but I could be wrong.:rolleyes:
    The carbine gas system was used in the 14.5 and shorter carbines (I'm no expert but i believe) because the short barrel/long gas system did not have enough "dwell time".
    But like I said I'm no "expert" so YMMV.
    If you like to tinker, I know a lot of friends shooting action rifle competition love the smooth impulse of lightened carriers and rifle gas with an 18" barrel, 16"s are possible as well but I believe you are definitely going to need to open the gas port along with going to low mass bolt carrier/buffer combinations and maybe lighter springs to get reliable operation. but that's just my opinion

I'd avoid the hassel and go with the middy in a 16"
    If not mid, I'd pick the tried and true (albiet overgassed) and reliable carbine length.
    My .o2