Full auto ar

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by czwicky, Mar 21, 2012.

1. czwicky

czwicky New Member

Could a standard ar-15 be made to fire fully auto if the nessacery parts (trigger, bcg, selector, etc.) were replaced with standard full auto m-16 parts?

2. frank_1947

frank_1947 New Member

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

No, several reasons. First off it would be illegal, no manufacturing of a machine gun is permitted except under a special Federal license and then only for Military and Law Enforcement. Secondly, an AR receiver cannot accept the full auto parts, some of which are illegal to own, without extensive modification...see above.
    Penalty for manufacturing a full auto AR is upto 10 years and $250,000. If you want one, get the proper stamps and buy one...they go for about $15,000

4. czwicky

czwicky New Member

Ive seen bump stocks before but i think their ugly and they take some getting used to

5. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

no!! No!! Don't do it under any circumstance!!! You are looking at being big bubba's little b*tch for 10 years if you get caught!!!!!!!!!

6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

No and please don't get a Slide Fire. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

7. czwicky

czwicky New Member

I wasnt planning on doing it guys i dont have 250k to pay a fine lol. I was just curious. And i wouldnt ruin my ar with a bump stock. Maybe my cheap wasr ak but not my lwrc. Hell no

8. scott_gen

scott_gen New Member

Some birdies told me a while ago that it's as simple as filing/sanding specific pieces to change one to full auto. How true that is, I'll never know, I don't have 10 years to blow in a 6x6.

9. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Some guns yes, An AR nope!

10. TooTallDean

TooTallDean New Member

I had a chance to fire a Slide Fire at the Media Day at the Range as part of SHOT 2012 in Jan.
    It works well, and gives the sensation of FA legally.
    Having said that, it is a toy, and because the entire gun shuttles back and forth, the sights are also bouncing back and forth also.
    I found it a bit difficult to aim accurately with short bursts, but easy to walk it onto target with a long burst.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

totally not true.

you cant file or sand any part to make it go full auto. while it is possible to make runaway type full auto your more likely to shoot yourself with such a light trigger. if its managed the slightest bump will set iit off and no way to stop it until the rifle runs out of bullets.

as for converting one your going to need a SOT FFL, a milling machine, drill press and a lot of skill in fitting parts. its not somthing you can just wack together.

as stated above doing so without federal permits you get a free trip to prison.

if you want a real one im listing mine in the classified section soon. look for the pics there in a few days

12. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

He is right to do it correctly you have to do a lot of modifications to a few key components.

13. scott_gen

scott_gen New Member

I know about as much of modding weapons illegally as I do speaking Russian and I DON'T wanna spend the "back nine" of my life behind bars. : )

14. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

US ARMY ARMORER HERE. just fyi. an ar 15 (with its original parts) CANNOT be modified to function fa like an m16. parts must be replaced and added (bolt carrier, auto sear, hammer, disconnecter, etc)

15. greenhornet-1

greenhornet-1 New Member

You are correct sir!!!! And thanks for your service!!!!!!!!!

16. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

At the risk of a called penalty for piling-on......:p

IF a firearm is designed so that it may be "readily converted" to full auto, that firearm would be (and has been) banned by the BATFE.

The full auto fire control parts that would be needed to make an AR-15 into an M-16 have no place the fit- there is a difference in the milling and machining of the receiver.

Is it possible to convert a semi to a full auto? Sure- don't clean the dried grease out of the firing pin channel on an SKS- first time you drop the bolt on a loaded cartridge it will empty the mag before you can burp. :eek: It will be uncontrolled, and like most liberals, damned near useless.

17. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Damned near?

18. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

You can take a thick rubber band (about 50 cents) loop it from the trigger, around the mag well, and back to the trigger again and it makes it easier to bumpfire. No worrys about the ATF, legal in about 48 states, and your only major expense is ammo. It is fun for a little bit :D, until you realize you just wasted 300 bucks of ammo (the cheap stuff) in about 5 minutes.:eek:

19. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Having fired a bunch of different types of full auto. rifles from the Thompson to the M-60 and everything in between, I find that I am much more effective and accurate shooting in semi-auto mode and just firing it quickly. The full auto. bursts have a tendancy to go all over the place, you know "spray & pray". I've never felt that I was undergunned by just having a reliable "semi" in my hands. In combat where we could only carry a very limited amount of ammo, I would have only used auto. fire under direst of circumstances like being overrun by a large commie horde.

Additionally as stated above, full auto. fire is a huge waste of ammo, especially if you're the one paying the bill. :eek:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012