Fuel Prices

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by damndiver, Oct 6, 2012.

1. damndiver

damndiver New Member

Does anyone else feel like the jump in fuel prices over the past two weeks is a sign that things are accelerating towards some type of crisis?

2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

not at all ..... it's price gouging as usual! :mad:

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Price is dropping a bit here in Central VA. Paid 3.45 today for regular.

4. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

5. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

naw, it's directly related to temp problems.

BUT, I'm a firm believer in peak oil and oil will becoming increasingly more expensive.

6. mcb

mcb New Member

Prices should in most states start to come down a little. September 15th is when refineries switch to cheaper to refine Winter Blend. Twice a year this formula switch causes refineries to shut down and change over. They do not want to be caught with an excessive amount of summer blend. This causes a supply and demand issue.

An interesting not the average retailer makes about .15 per gallon in fuel margin. This is not counting labor, maintaining equipment, permits, etc.

7. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Put 30 bucks worth in my Dakota yesterday in new Albany Indiana on the way home from work for 3.57 per gal.

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

Do you know how much the government and oil companies make in profit? Last I checked, fed was actually profiting more than the companies that produce it. 2004ish.

9. markw2011

markw2011 New Member

4.29 here in upstate NY my wallet is certainly feeling it.

10. fmj

fmj New Member

The reason for the sudden spike and shortages on the left coast is due to refinery fires in CA...put a serious damper on production. Less supply and equal demand the price IS going to surge. Its NOT a conspiracy at all. (this time)

11. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

$3.55 a gallon here for regular unleaded. price has dropped a little over the last couple of weeks. not much, but better than it rising.

13. bkt

bkt New Member

There's no gouging going on now (any more than there has been consistently, if there actually has been any). The rise of gas prices is matching the rise of price of food and other things.

14. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Yes unfortunately food and everything else is moved by diesel truck in this country and the cost of diesel in this part of the world is over $4.00 per/gal.
    Of course there is always " Under my policies energy cost will necessarily skyrocket!" high energy cost equals high everything else!
    I believe I heard some obscure unknown Senator say that way back in 2007.
    I'm just saying. :rolleyes:

I do agree I don't think its price gouging.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  15. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

It's $3.60 here in OK. Down a few cents from last week. Ridiculous anyway you look at it. That's why I am seriously looking to put a CNG kit on my next new car. Costs quite a bit upfront but with natural gas costing about 20-50% of what gasoline costs it can pay back in a few years.

16. widowmaker

widowmaker New Member

Friday, gas was $4.89 in my area(southern Shasta county, CA) havent been back to town since to see how much more it is this weekend.

17. mcb

mcb New Member

That's still true. There is a lot of talk about oil industry profit. For the most part the margins remain the same. As the price is higher on the market the $$ amounts are higher but the percent is still the same.

The govt operates more or less the same way. The higher the price the more they make.

Between refining regulations and taxes, a lot of what we see at the pump goes to the govt.

18. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

The oil companies would rather have Romney in power than Obama. The higher gasoline prices go, the more the voters will blame Obama for it. For the oil companies, it is a win-win situation.

I predicted, a year ago, that gasoline would be between 4 and 5 dollars a gallon by the end of October, for that very reason

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

Oh just quit already. Obama freaking admitted that his policies would drive energy costs through the roof, and your still keeping this up? You've crossed the line a long time ago of defending your chosen candidate and have gone into just making yourself look bad.

The same thing I told someone else regarding Islam, your defending something that is indefensible. Just give it up already. Now your just being silly.