FTF Tornado Intercept Vehicle

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by cpttango30, Dec 2, 2010.

1. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Ok so I admit it I was Storm Chasers with the dream of really doing it.

If you have seen the show you know that the Imax guy Sean Casey has the TIV II an armoured vehicle with a ball turret on top for filming. The other vehicle is a covered Yukon named The Dominator by Reed Timmer.

I think we can build a better vehicle here what do you guys say? Can we build the FTF Extreme Weather Research Vehicle? FTF EWRV

I want to start from the ground up with a full on custom built rig.

I want it to weigh at least 12,000#
    It must seat 6 people
    It must have built in WIFI for network.
    It must haul ass top speed of 155mph at least.
    Must withstand 250mph winds with ZERO damage.

I am thinking a worked over Duramax with the allison 6speed.
    Full chromemoly tube chassis. I would place a rack in the very read of the vehicle to hold laptop computers. 6 all together. I would use 17" LCD monitors with small keyboards with build in trackball or mouse pad. I think I would rhino line the thing inside and out. What else should we make sure to do.

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

HHHHHHHaaaaaaaaavvvvvvvveeeeeeeeee you met the new MRAP?!

[​IMG]

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

MRAP with a nitrous bottle.

4. RugerShootinGal

RugerShootinGal New Member

Tango I would go storm chasing with you!!! That would be awesome especially if you get that truck JD just posted.:D

5. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Good idea Tango, put a couple of gun mounts on it and it could double as the FTF urban assult vehicle! :D

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I see JD didn't read.

I want to build it from the ground up.

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I didn't say buy it. I asked if you had SEEN it?!

That vehicle has designed from the ground up to withstand roadside bombs that would bring down a building.

They don't come off the ground and get flipped over.

As evidenced by Mythbusters, both of those super storm vehicles had problems in that category. The heavy one had special pistons that got bent to shi*ite during the testing.

The "light" one got spun like a top and while it didn't tip over, it would have if it hit a ditch, or a curb like Kelsey Grammer. :rolleyes:

So, as a basis for your vehicle, I just saved you about 20 million dollars in R & D.

You're Welcome. :D

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

That is too big and too tall.

I want to use the airbag suspension like the TIV. I want spikes but I am going to make mine out of D8 blade lift cylinders. I would also use 4 and mount them inboard if possible.

9. freefall

freefall New Member

Get a D8 and chase slow tornados.

10. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

Well JD, I think that thing kicks butt. Sure hope I don't find it in the USA being operated by UN Troops

11. doctherock

doctherock New Member

The duramax is a sissy motor, get the Cummins ISC 8.3 liter and hook it up with twin turbos and a pimped Allison world trans. Stock running in a 36000 pound bus you can get up to a 80 before the governor kicks in. Computer super pucks and such will bring the stock speed even higher plus you will be 24000 pounds lighter, this will add speed. Hell its only about a 16000 dollar engine and 6 to 8 for the trans.

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I will have to look it up dock.

Price is no object. As we will have sponsers. This thing is gonna be running dopler radar and a bunch of other gizmos.

I had thought about an older cat 3408 but that was kind of big for this app. Though what if we did build this on a truck chassis. We could pack so much stuff in it we would have tornado people dying to be riding with us.

I want this thing to withstand a EF-5 tornado without even thinking twice about it.

13. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

How about something like this as a starting point - add armoring, bullet resistant glass, run flat tires, a pneumatic anchor system (cable stays to hold the vehicle down in an emergency), and so on ....

images1.jpg

index.jpg

;)

14. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

That's a Ford and we all know tango LOVES Ford.

15. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

While cool dog. We are not wanting comfort here. We want bullet proofness.

The mere fact that I would cut the entire body off of it would make it worthless. Plus it is too high.

If I could I would use the lower part of a tank or APC with tracks. Then you wouldn't have to worry about mud. But how far and how fast can you run on tracks. Even Cat Challenger tracks.

If you don't know what the challenger is here MT700C | Challenger

What I truly want is a armored truck with a low profile 4x4 and I want it to go as fast as a sprint cup car. I also want it to look good as well. No since in going out in some fugly thing that breaks down all the time (TIV and TIV II). Anything with a main cab height higher than a normal Yukon or expedition is a no-go at this station.

I am thinking that I should to an alum carbon fiber fiberglass alum layer on the bottom then cover that with a coating of rhino liner then another layer of the Tango Tough alum carbon fiber fiberglass alum. That way we can paint it and stick sponsor stickers on it as well.

16. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Well than how about one of these a starting point,

a tracked modular platform that can be configured any way you can imagine -
    images.jpg

a platform that would have no trouble with terrain and can reach pretty good speeds -
    images1.jpg

or one of these? it doesn't meet your requirements but it has a proven track record and is very versatile so it could be reconfigured/modified -
    images3.jpg

or are you thinking the tube chassis route? if that's the case than the possibilities are endless -
    images4.jpg

Is there a particular need for such speed? I would think anything armored enough would be heavy enough to just ride out whatever mother nature could throw at it. :confused:

17. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Speed when a tornado is streaking across the plains at 70mph you have to be able to get to it fast.