FTF/slide locking back issues

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by texaswoodworker, Dec 29, 2013.

1. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I just bought a CZ-52, and I'm having problems with it. Every 2-3 rounds, the slide will lock back, and the round won't be stripped from the mag. The gun will eject (launch into the next county) spent brass just fine though. The slide just keeps locking back for some reason.

When the slide locks back, it is usually stubborn about releasing, and it will take a pretty firm pull (probably more than should be required. Not sure since this is my first CZ-52) to get it to release. If you don't do it just right, the slide will just move back just a little, and then return to where it was (in the locked open position). Though, it did release easy once while I was shooting. It locked back like I explained above, but this time it slammed home when I just barely touched it. :confused:

Any ideas?

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Do you have an extra magazine to try and see if you can rule out a magazine problem?

3. texaswoodworker

No extra mag yet. The slide is stubborn about releasing even with the mag out though.

4. texaswoodworker

Could it be the slide stop?

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The slide release/lock may be bent. It is supposed to lock the slide back on the last shot but if bent or the wrong one it will lock up the slide. Sometimes on every round.

6. texaswoodworker

I'll be sure to look for any bends in it. I'm about to take the gun apart, give it a REALLY good cleaning and oiling, inspect the slide release (and everything near it), and see if I can't get it working without having to order any parts.

I did go ahead and order 2 surplus mags from MidwayUSA though. They had them on sale for $14.16 each. :D

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

its very easy to assemble a cz52 slide release/lock incorrectly causing this to happen or the spring for the release could be missing or very weak. i doubt its a mag issue as that would show up on last round fired as a fail to lock open

8. texaswoodworker

I think I found the problem. The slide release/safety detent spring doesn't seem to be working with the slide release correctly.

9. texaswoodworker

Ok, here's what it's doing. The spring is under the slide release as opposed to above it as it should be. With an empty mag inserted, it will automatically move up and lock the slide open when the slide is pulled back.

When I put the spring above the slide release, it does not always let the slide release automatically move up and lock the slide open. However, I can manually move it up, and it will stay. I can also easily release it just by slightly pulling the slide back (like with any semi auto). No more firmly (hard and fast) pulling it back to get it to release. If it's locked open and I remove the mag, the slide releases and slams home.

So should I just replace the spring?

A pic for reference (not mine)

[​IMG]

This is how the spring should be. Notice the end of the spring (the arm) is sitting on top of the slide release. The spring on mine was sitting under it. I moved it up, but experienced the problems described above.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  10. JonM

JonM Moderator

Now that you fixed your first problem your now in the realm of either dirty or unlubed slide release or bad magazine or dirty magazine.

If you can take the magazine apart give the insides a good scrubbing and cleaning with clp. Clean the slide release and lube with clp. Just make sure the magazine isn't dripping with clp just a very very very light coat. If that doesn't work wait for the new mags as the spring in your current one is probably worn

11. texaswoodworker

The spring was cheap. so I just went ahead and bought one. I'm going to put it in the gun and see if it improves anything. Even if it doesn't, it never hurts to have a spare.

I also took the gun to the range just to see if the reliability problems were still there. I fired a mag and a half through it without one single problem. The slide even locked back after the last round like it's supposed to and didn't release on it's own when I took out the mag. :D

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

excellent!!

sounds fixed to me.

new springs never hurt neither do new mags.