FTF Pumpkin Chunker?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by cpttango30, Nov 25, 2010.

1. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

OK So We got plenty of ability I think we need to build a team and we need to build a pumpkin cannon.

Spitty and brian your on machine work.
    Skully your on welding.
    We need 3 workers
    We need 2 engineers mechanical and electrical
    NGIB your on material procurement.
    Benning your on entertainment (You have to wear a Jesters outfit)
    Joe your on plumbing.
    Robo your team leader (Only if you will wear a viking Helmet)
    Scubie and Glass you are on security and crowd control.
    WOC, RSG, and one other Your on moral control.
    Jester is on images (Photo and video)

We need someone to grow and develop our special breed of super tough pumpkins.

What say you guys could be do this in a year? We need funding where can we get that. Maybe sell ad space on the cannon? Run auctions on FTF.

Anyone got a class A license? We need a Truck and a Trailer. I would prefer a trailer that could be covered as to sell ad space to firearms companies. What if we offered to make ours look like an AR-15 and get DPMS or RRA or LMT something like that to sponsor us.

2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Hot damn Tango I think you may be on to something! :eek: A pumkin chuckin AR mounted on a Winnebago? Does anybody know what the reg's on a full auto pumpkin AR? Would we need a tax stamp for a suppressor? What about high cap mags, or should we go with a belt fed model? :D

I like this idea a lot. I think with the talented folks here on FTF we could pull something like this off ;)

3. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Punkin Chunkin!!

I'll do a little Research on the type used on the Show by the winning team. The small hard Pumpkins held up under pressure and didn't vaporize inside the Barrel and or exiting. I planned on planting edible ones in the spring. Post your caliber size and I'll find the Punkin to match. :)

4. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

I would love to be in on that build, except I'm too far away.

Jim.......

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I'd be happy to help build one. Anyone have any thoughts on an air powered thrower? Compressed air in cylinders can create a lot of engery.

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

It's a great idea Tango. I don't know if the enthusiasm level will maintain long enough to actually do it, but it's a great idea. It sure conjures up some cool images. :D

I will be watching this years competition tonight.

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Wait a minute, WAIT A MINUTE, WAIT A MINUTE...........

Tango, you know I luv ya, but, there is either a typo or you have given RSG and I an impossible task. If you meant RSG and I should be on morale control, I will gladly take on the job. Though I'm pretty damn sure RSG could raise the morale of the team way better than I can. Or........RSG can be the eye candy, I'll be the gramma baking cookies and grilling the 'burgers behind the scenes. Beer and other 'mind altering' beverages will only be served after all the work is done each day if I'm in charge of the kitchen. Lemonade, pop and water will flow freely throughout the building day, though.

Now, if you meant what you truly typed.......I don't think RSG and I could be moral control of a group such as you put together. How can we be assigned moral control of a group who might possibly have no morals at all? Hmm? How can we do that? Hmmm? Could someone please explain? Read those questions in your best Stewie voice from Family Guy

And here's one other thing. I am going to demand payment. Since I am so new to guns, having shot some rifles less than a year ago that got me hooked on wanting to own a gun and owning my own only since, maybe, August, I have never had the joy yet I have a very strong dream and desire to shoot either a pumpkin and/or a watermelon and have yet to find somewhere for me to fulfill that dream and desire. So, I'm going to demand about 3 of those homegrown pumpkins of Wills to take off somewhere so Maggie (my GP100) and I can have a little fun. I'm sure if we have access to property that will let us build a punkin chucker I am guessing there will be somewhere for me to shoot a couple punkins. I mean, it's been fun killing some paper at the pistol range but Maggie and I thirst for bigger prey.

Now, I must say I have a little experience in building weapons that shoot vegetables as I was directly involved about 10 years ago with assisting the man down the street when he helped his son and my son build potato guns out of PVC pipes. A great time was had by all. Except for the neighbor man's wife (who happens to be a very good friend of mine) who kept exclaiming the boys were going to blow themselves up.

Whaddya say? Am I still in? Or are you all rolling your eyes and saying, "Let's leave WOC out since I think she's going to hire a lawyer and write up a contract"?

8. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Moral Booster!!!!

Hell WOC. After that Post you are more than Qualified for the job. Except the part of no drinking on the Job. My best work was after I put away at least a six pack!:eek::) Any one want to donate the air compresser to launch these Punkins.:D

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Nah, you're in Winds, just don't overthink it. After all, this is the FTF where spontaneity and insanity reign supreme.

...and btw, Cane's an engineer.

10. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I'm in but don't rely on my welding. Bear can do his share as well. We don't need no stinking engineers *snicker*. Sorry, Cane, we do need your input.

I believe that on Discovery Channel tonight at 8pm est there is the Punkin Chunkin competition. The pneumatic ones use tremendous pressures in a reserve tank. The mechanical ones are trebuchets and huge. It can be done but who is gonna be the financier? JD maybe, NGIB?

Tango, we might as well put some drive train to it so you can drive it into position and down Main Street. :D

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

How about something in the line of Gatling Gun? As top barrel comes up, another pumpkin is loaded. (and who says they have to be large pumpkins?)

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Do you guys think we could include a smoker on it as well?

WOC no I didn't mean moral I meant morale. LOL glad you caught that.

Here are the rules.

World Championship PunkinChunkin

Do we want to go Air powered, Centrifugal, Catapult? I think catapult would be the easiest to build but Air powered is where it is at though.

I am thinking a big air gun bigger than anything out there today. With at least 2 V-8 big big blocks for pumping air. Maybe we could make it look like a rifle of some kind. I am thinking The forum colors of Blue, light blue and gray. Now what would we name it?

The FTF AR-Pumpkin, Pumpkinton 700, The Bearded Clam.....

13. jca1

jca1 New Member

I have the perfect pumpkin seed.

14. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

Built one in college a lot of years ago that fired turnips. The trick is in the wadding to syop the bloody thing atonising the veggies. Think shotgun cartridges and you will not be far off. You will need quite high pressure and a very quick gate release valve if compressed air. Happy to do some tech drawings of the one we built if it will help. It did fire one 220 yards before it exploded. :rolleyes:

15. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

16. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

17. willshoum

willshoum New Member

The Punkinator!!

Davyboy, what exploded, the cannon or the pumkin. Forget about Gatlin type if you go with air, You would need one massive volume tank to maintain pressure. Most air compressors will generate 150 psi. Would you all come up with a dia. on said pumpkin, There is only a few that will hold up to the task at hand. Bigger is not better, work with the pipesize you can get, no larger than 8''. If I have to grow these pumpkins I gots to know!! 2.5" is the smallest. I'm thinking of making molds that would prohibit growth beyond the dia. needed. Ps WOC. next holloween, Make your rounds in the neighborhood after the 31st. I'm sure you will find pumpkins to shoot at. But not in their yards.:eek::)

18. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Black powder cartridge with wadding. Somethin like anvil blasting.

19. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Used Military Surplus...

Small comp. work but take to long to build up the vol. needed, Hence the need for a vol. tank or tanks. You will need a mobil unit, pref. Deisel. Watch the show, it will be hard to beat these guys. Think miles not yards. I've got a trick up my sleeve that might work!! The ultimate pumpkin for chunkin.:eek::)

20. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

It will not be hard to beat these guys with all the people we have and all the varied background we if we put our minds to it and could round everyone up for 2 months we could build the biggest baddest pumpkin chunker in the land.