FTF Great Steak Thread

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by cpttango30, Dec 30, 2010.

1. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

OK so I'm a little bored can you tell.

Ok so what makes a better steak?

Dry Aged or Wet Aged beef?

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I'm a believer in dry aged beef.

3. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Dry-aged all the way.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

fresh off the cow. the closer it was to mooing the better.

5. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

30 Day air / dry aged beef rules.

6. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I have to agree. I was a dry aged guy a long time. After mooovingto the woods I had a cow butchered up by the Amish. That was the best steak EVER! I find that the preparation is the biggest factor to me anymore. Overcooked it's crap. A bad marinade will ruin even the perfect steak. Same with a ill conceived dry rub or spice blend. Take your time and do it right though aged or fresh the meat is some of the most tasty murder you can put in your mouth.

I also when grilling outdoors will not use a gas grill. I'll cook inside if I want that. Kingsford charcoal....The way God grills a steak outdoors.

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Dry aged all the way.

Like Hank would say. Taste the food not the fuel.

I love my 4 burner Char-broil GAS grill.

8. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

The only reason you will "taste the fuel" is because someone does not know when to stop with the lighter fluid. Do it right and you wont have a problem. It's like anything else in this world. It's a learned skill. Most don't try though. They toss in a bunch of charcoal and a couple cans of fluid and are tossing out the mean in another 5 minutes. Built the little pyramid and be gentle with the fuel. Watch for the corners to ash over and in another 10 minutes spread it out. Sure it takes a little time but it's liek that story about the young and the old bull.

Young bull says "Hey old bull? Lets run down to that meadow and f**k us a cow!!"
    Old bull says "Lets walk down and f**k em all":eek:

9. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Use real wood charcoal and a Chimney starter and there is no need for fuel.:D

Oh yeah, Dry aged.

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

dry aged, cooked with no salt, trimmed.

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I use a chimney starter, too. And I only have a charcoal grill. Gas grills just don't cut it with me. You don't get the same flavor.

What's the difference between dry and wet aged? I never heard of these terms before.

12. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Anyone dry age their own steaks? I know it seems like a pain but they are so good and at in my area it's crazy expensive to buy. I've read how to do it, but I'm wondering if anyone has real experience with it and can offer some tips.

13. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Dry aged, charcoal with chimney. I made my own chimneys and they work great. When I am using the smoker, I leave a few hot coals in the bottom of the chimney and dump new bricks on top. They are ready to go in no time.

DJ, ever hear the saying there is no need to marinade a good cut of meat?

Anyone use seasonings? I like some lemon pepper and I have tried the Montreal Steak seasoning that was not bad. Cajun Shake is pretty good, too.
    My mil makes something called chimole (sp?) and when spread on top of the steak, it is amazing. It is just fresh cilantro, onions and roased romano tomato all mixed together. It might be called something else, anyone, Lon?

14. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

You might be talking about Chimichurri, Skull, which is basically parsley, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, red pepper flakes, and salt blended into a chunky sauce and spread on meat. It is AMAZING. Some people add other things to it as well, like cilantro. Just Google it.

I'm a huge Montreal Steak Seasoning fan, I'm pretty addicted to it. But some times I go with just kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper. I never marinate!

I always lightly olive oil my steaks before seasoning and putting them on the grill. Makes the seasoning stay on the steak better, IMO.

I much prefer charcoal, and I use a chimney for sure, but I also have a gas grill for when I'm lazy (which is often) or in a hurry.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  15. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Not chimichurri, Lon. Although I am sure it is a distant cousin. This is something she learned to make as a kid in Guatemala. She calls it chimole, I am just not sure of the spelling. Pronounced {chee-moal}. Very few ingredients. Fresh chopped cilantro, diced onion and crushed roasted whole romanos. Not sure if she uses a bit of olive oil, but I don't think so. Just friggin awesome. I like it better than chimichurri.

16. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Well, if you ever get the recipe......send it to me!

17. suprdave

suprdave New Member

I'd like to try it as well.

18. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Yeah, I don't see that happening, Dave.

19. DrJason

DrJason New Member

Dry-aged is the way I go when I'm looking for a great steak!