Fruitcake

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by winds-of-change, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Yes, good stuff. It wouldn't be the holidays without some fruitcake.

31 vote(s)
    39.2%
  2. It's present at ther holiday gatherings but I wouldn't eat it.

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. Who the heck wants to eat all that icky candied fruit. It looks like it has wax fruit in it.

6 vote(s)
    7.6%
  4. I can't stand the sight of it, let alone eat any of it.

12 vote(s)
    15.2%
  5. Skip the fruitcaker and pass me another beer.

27 vote(s)
    34.2%
  1. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I probably shouldn't admit this because I'll probably lose friends over this or possibly even be banned but I like fruitcake. The more expensive, the better it tastes but to quell a craving, I'll nibble on a cheap one. The pricey ones have rum in them, the cheaper ones don't and the taste difference is very obvious. I've considered attempting to make a fruitcake from scratch but it's a pretty long process that I'm just not willing to tackle. And if I screw it up, it's an expensive mistake.

So, here we go...........

2. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Nose wrinkled.....stomach cringing.....

3. winds-of-change

Soo...........is that a "no"? :D

4. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Yep. They are hideous looking things with too many textures.

5. winds-of-change

It's good stuff. "A variety of interesting textures with bursts of many flavours". Does that make it any better for you? LOL

Now I want to post a fruitcake recipe on your cooking page.

6. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Well make that fruitcake and post a recipe Miss Thang. :)

7. winds-of-change

Well, I didn't say I was going to make one. To make a real fruitcake, not a cheapy one, takes several weeks. I'm too lazy.

8. JSStryker

JSStryker New Member

My Dad used to make great fruitcakes, when he was alive, actually thinking I might try my hand making one if I can find his recipe.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

im willing to donate a bottle of rum to your fruitcake build there winds!!

10. winds-of-change

Let me know how it goes. They aren't easy to make.

11. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

If you make it, posts pics and recipe please so I can share it on my cooking page. :)

12. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

No one has ever eat a fruit cake. There is only one in the whole world. Everyone who has recieved it has given it away. ;)

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

My Grandmother, rest her soul, made them about this time of the year for sale. GAWD they were GOOD! I mean the BEST! Totally unlike the store bought mess of congealed sugar and Red Dye #2. Light batter, tons of fruit and nuts, and 2 shotglasses of rum in each cake (AFTER they baked)

A strict, teetotaling Baptist, she would nevertheless send Dad to the liquor store for 4 quarts of light rum for her fruitcakes. She made a LOT of them!

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

I
    FREAKING
    Love
    fruitcake.
    And I don't care who knows it. I will scream it to the world from atop someplace very high.

15. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i said yes, but only if its my uncles homemade one. after a peice of cake you feel smiley.. after 2 or 3 you may stumble to the bathroom.. i dont know his recipe.. i just know its like a bottle of rum in a solid form!!!!!!

16. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

You know, there was a fruitcake that was passed around the family for a while. It seems like each year the same cake was passed to the next.

When it was my turn to get the dern thing, I marked it without telling anyone.
    The following year, Yep, I passed it on.

Ten years later, I got the dern thing back again (and it still had my mark on it).

17. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

The best bought fruitcake, and about the only one I will eat, is the Claxton Fruitcake made in Claxton, Georgia. I generally try to get my sisters to send some to me each year, since I can't find it in Oklahoma.:(
    I got a fruitcake recipe from a Texas chef a few years ago, and the chef and I exchanged cakes. He liked mine better than his, and it was his own recipe. :cool:
    Winds, PM me and I'll send you the recipe if you want it..

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

HEY!!! Send the recipe to me please sir. I may decide this is the year to make one myself.

19. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

That's all?! needs more booze than that...:p