Front site adjustment??

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by hotchilipowder1, Jan 5, 2019.

1. hotchilipowder1

hotchilipowder1 Member

44 mag Ruger Vaquero shoots approx 8" low @ 25 yards with mid-range loads, does that mean front site needs to be lowered (filed down) as the sites are fixed? And a little filing goes a long ways, correct??

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Yes, lower the front sight to make it shoot higher.
    Or change to different loads (easier).

Jack Ryan, 1911NUT and Gatoragn like this.

3. hotchilipowder1

hotchilipowder1 Member

Have used Unique, TiteGroup & CFE Pistol, all mid range loads, with 180 gr LaserCast lead bullets, all shot roughly 8" low, when I used 240gr lead,shot even lower!?!?

Dallas53 likes this.
  4. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

maybe a gunsmith could install a shorter front sight?

kfox75 likes this.
  5. hotchilipowder1

hotchilipowder1 Member

Or just file it down a bit

Dallas53 likes this.
  6. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

well, uh, yeah, I guess you could do that. :)

7. hotchilipowder1

hotchilipowder1 Member

I'd have a gunsmith do it, easy & cheaper I'd think

Dallas53 likes this.
  8. BVAL

BVAL Well-Known Member

Wait, wait,,,,wait,,,,I have a question first. First, what was your site picture was it a 6 o'clock hold. Are you seeing a bunch of front sight or are you burying the front sight into the top frame slot?
    The other would be,,,if you are loading for it, try lighter bullet weights first. Ya may just find what it really likes that way. Now if are really wanting to stay with the bullet weight you have,, I would start with powder charge. Work it up in small batches, each brand of manufactor, then see what happens. Who knows,,,,,, you may just find that load that makes that single action shoot as if was a laser.

Jack Ryan and Dallas53 like this.
  9. hotchilipowder1

hotchilipowder1 Member

I first tried 6 o'clock hold, shot about 8" low @ 25 yds shooting @ 10" gong, then held @ top of gong & hit approx 6 to 8" low on gong. I'd like to stick with 180 gr LaserCast bullets with a mid-range velocity load. Yes, you are right on loading small batches of ammo using different powder weights, although what I shot Saturday was 4 different loadings. Think I'll again with more varied charge weights.....thanks!

towboater and Dallas53 like this.
  10. BVAL

BVAL Well-Known Member

Ok, I am good with what you just said about 6 o'clock hold and doing the different powder charges.
    But, you did not say anything about the front sight being totally visible or that you had it buried in the groove on the frame.

11. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Well-Known Member

[​IMG] 1.

[​IMG]2.

[​IMG] 3.

[​IMG] 4.

Which of these are the sight alignment you are using?

My training aid for teaching sight alignment.
    [​IMG]

12. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Well-Known Member

Those are all going to print about the same if you are producing about the same velocity with about the same weight bullet.

You will have to vary the bullet weight, the velocity or both to affect the impact point. This changes the recoil speed is what changes the impact point on the target.

Have you tried a heavier bullet from a 44 special?

Dallas53 likes this.
  13. hotchilipowder1

hotchilipowder1 Member

Ok, here's the deal on site picture....range faces South & day was sunny last Saturday so lotsa glare off stainless steel barrel, had front site painted flat black but still glare nasty. As I recall front site NOT buried but maybe midway. Will try the multiple loads again & really watch site picture, may be awhile b4 I can get to range as weather in Green Bay unpredictable in January. Really want to thank you for your thoughts, I'm 71 & l-o-n-g time shooter & reloader but NEVER to old to learn (or re-learn) the fine points of shooting!

14. BVAL

BVAL Well-Known Member

Ok, we are never to old to learn new things and or refine the old ways. Looking forward to hearing about what load you came up with to get the best grouping, regardless of where that group is on the target. You never stated in your post that you have or have not had any experience with handguns. There is a big difference in the way you grip and hold said handguns. Just remember this with shooting the single action,,,, you do not have to grip it hard or fight it upon recoil, just let it kind of roll back into your hand. Last thing that I wish to tell you is what I have learned from all the years of shooting single action when it comes to the fixed sights,,,,
    When shooting at ranges that are around the 25 yard mark, barrels lengths in the 4 3/4 to 5 1/2 inches,,,,only about HALF the height of the front blade sight shows above the rear sight groove on the frame top strap. Barrel lengths in the 7 1/2 range or longer,,, just the top 1/3 of the front sight should show.
    Man o man,,,we here are waiting to hear the range report after ya got all this figured out. We want to hear you can get it done like a mad man,,,,,,with the younger shooters saying,,,,SIR,,,,in your younger years,, where you a US Marshall or some kind of outlaw in West.

15. hotchilipowder1

hotchilipowder1 Member

Barrel length on Vaquero is 3 3/4", yes have shot handguns a long time, never much with fixed sights though, think I need to focus more on sight picture with Vaquero, that along with finding right load, thanks again, I'm hoping for some decent weather to get to range with test ammo.

towboater likes this.
  16. ramjet

ramjet Member