Front Sight Post Color Preference.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by diggsbakes, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Green

17 vote(s)
    53.1%
  2. Yellow

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. Red or Orange

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. Other. . . do tell.

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  1. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Disclaimer: sorry if this has already been done.

Which color do you prefer as your high visibility and/or night sight on your front sight post?

After answering that question you may state what (if any) combination you use in conjunction with rear sights (if any) and, of course, ;) why.

Thanks for your response! :)

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Jim Garthwaite 10 Karat-.080 Gold Bead insert

Attached Files:

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Trijicon or tritium.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

im not a fan of glow in the dark sights. just grew up without em. learned to shoot without em under varied light conditions. got em on my cz97bd but there wasnt an option not to. i prefer plain white dot or black. but i also have a lot of trigger time on the 1911 platform.

5. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

I never really though much about it until I got the TFO Tru-Glos. They are green front/yellow rear. Having 2 colors really makes a difference. Shot my new G19 the other evening, it was an experience. It doesn't have night sights on it yet, for point and shoot (too dark to see sights) I didn't do too badly. For work though, the night sights are a must, too much liability otherwise.

6. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Each situation is a case by case basis, but shooting from dark, or shadow, (like from cover) into light is primarily what I was thinking about, the target is identifiable, but without night sights, confirming on target could be problematic.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Ease up G37. I don't think of myself as a "Ninja". Just an individual who has been around a time or two.
    What I prefer is my choice. In a SD situation, I encourage people to cheat with the best they can afford. If glow in the dark sights works for them, great.
    I do not have a handgun that will not index for me, but any help is better than none.

8. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Wait for it.......... [​IMG]

9. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

My own preferance is black, serrated front blade.

Black always shows up sharp without glare or mirage. It's much easier to hold elevation when your sights show up crisp and sharp.

And, my take on low light shooting, if its too dark to see your sights, its too dark to shoot.

Bob Wright

10. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Now my take...if shooting in the dark turns to grappling or anything that causes one to change up, drop or lose a weapon, good night sights will give you a greater advantage to locate said weapon, even in tall grass, brush or thick jungle canopy. I know this for fact! :cool:

You boys got to think "tactical" weapon advantages here. ;)

11. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Let me answer that for you G37....

First, I would have asked a few questions before I jumped on that bandwagon about needing a “crutch” or being a “Ninja” or even an inflection that someone might not know what they were talking about.

Just a little background on Glasshartt, she has been a Law Enforcement officer for over 28 years and has handled weapons her whole life. The “liability” she talks about is specific to police officers as we are many times placed in positions where we are forced to use our weapons and most of the time Murphy’s law is interjected (if you don’t’ know what Murphy’s law is let me know and I will tell you).

Glass would never shoot if she was not able to identify her target but having night sights at night with reduced lighting is just common sense to a LEO. I also was raised without night sights but I tried to use each and every advancement in weapons and equipment I could to make my job easier and keep me alive a little longer, Glass is the same way. Just because it was not around when you were growing up does not mean it is not a valuable tool.

I don’t know you from Adam but from your post you seem narrow minded and quick to criticize.

12. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

First of all, apparently you cannot read. I am not a he, I am a she.

Second of all, apparently you do not have any concept of real world tactical deployment, apparently you are a REMF. A law enforcement officer does not have the ability, for the most part, to pick and choose when, or where they have to deploy their weapons. And, when they do, they must use any available cover to the best of their advantage. Night sights are not a crutch, they are one of the may available tools that an officer can use to ensure that the bad guy is the only one that gets taken out.

13. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I like blue.:D
    [​IMG]

14. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Sitting in your lazy boy at home aiming at the TV doesn't do a dam thing for you when the SHTF.

G37 I really don't think you know just who you are talking to here. I would advise you to be a tad more respectful to Glass.

You could blindfold her and spin her till she was dizzy and I still wouldn't want here shooting at me.

She is a supporting member here and she is a long time LEO with a lot of experience in a very bad part of the country.

15. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

G37, you've only been here about two weeks. Why don't you just hang out for a while and get to know the good folks here before you piss them off?

16. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Well.. well... son, so you have spent a little time "outside the wire" as you put it. Being in the military is one thing being a LEO is something else. Your rules of engagement are completely different and are valid for one thing and one thing only..Combat. Many of the members of this forum have extensive experience in that tactical area and they understand that there is no one way to do something. You may expound to your heart’s desire on how point shooting is the way to go..BUT.. if you point your finger at someone and tell them they need a crutch or they are a “ninja” because they feel differently about something you’re just showing that you feel it is your way or no way. You should learn a little humility and realize your way is not the only way.

17. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I changed my mind, I like Green.:)

18. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Diggs,

My apologies for the direction this thread has taken as it has gone off kilter. To get the thread back on track I will say I like green on my sights as it seems I am able to pick that color up quicker than other types.

19. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I voted green as well.

I like green because it green.

G37 needs some GLOW-ON. It might make him a little BRIGHTER than he is now.

More dangerous that El Paso you have never been there have you? You couldn't pay me enough to live there let alone be an LEO down there. I spent a few week there a while ago and you could watch the people climbing the fence. You could hear gun fire day and night. One of my MWD's went to El Paso for 2 weeks and busted over $20 million in drugs.

anyways back on topic.

I have one gun with sights that are colored white. I don't like them.

20. Angry_bald_guy

Angry_bald_guy Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have never used night sights so as of right now, I have no preference.