Front sight/gasblock?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by lbwar15, Apr 28, 2013.

1. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Planing to put a MOE four grip on my M&P. I also won't to have back up sights on it. Is there any way to mount the MBUS front sight on the MOE hand guard? Or should I just buy a new gas block with front sight post? If a new gas block is the way to go what are some recommendations?

2. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

The top of the MOE handguard isn't flat, so no way to mount the sight, what type of gas block do you have now?

3. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

4. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Just the flat top that came with my M&P.

5. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

6. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

No the one with the built in gas block are steel or aluminum

7. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Is your existing gas block pinned, or is it clamped on or screwed in? If it is pinned, I suggest you take it to a gunsmith to change it, otherwise you might end up effing up your barrel, unless you are confident in your ability. The reason I bring this up is from past experience and the experience of others. The last time I removed one with pins, I had to use a hydraulic press to get the pins out. Took a while. I imagine if it wasn't for the press, I probably wouldn't even have fooled with it.

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Am I the only one who doesn't have a clue what you're saying? You do want backup sights, right? And what do you now have for a front sight? Nothing/low profile gas block with no rail or the standard A2 FSB?

As sputnik1988 already said you shouldn't mount a front sight on the MOE handguard.

9. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

I think the OP should fire a couple hundred rounds to figure out what he really wants first. Then take his rifle to a competent AR gunsmith and have this talk with him. Otherwise, it sounds like to me he is going to end up in a short time with a disassembled AR that spends a lot of time without being used.

10. nate913

nate913 New Member

This is what I did today. I put the sights on my rails

image-978223739.jpg

It works for now.