Front Rest.

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by cpttango30, Jan 1, 2011.

1. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I am tired of lugging 50# of sand bags to and from the range and I am tired of them getting my guns all dirty.

What is the best rest for $550.

THE FIRST PERSON TO SAY ANY OF THE FOLLOWING WILL GET A PONCH PICTURE.

Caldwell Rock BR Competition Rifle Front Shooting Rest
    Caldwell Rock Front Shooting Rest
    Caldwell Rock Jr. Rifle Front Shooting Rest
    Oh hell anything that says Caldwell because I have looked at these in stores and they SUCK. They are cheap and not worth internet space they are printed on.

I have looked at the Sinclair's and like them.

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I dont know but sure ain't going to suggest a Caldwell :eek:

3. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Chicken.:p

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

A front rest??
    Cabela's: Cabela's Un-Filled Shooting Bags
    I filled it w/ old corn media. Recycle!!

I normally just use my range bag. Take it coyote hunting, pack up calls, ammo, mat, water. Unload and set up it works fine. I also use bi-pods, but when on a berm... lower position, the bag works great.

Rookies!!!

Edit, A few guys I know use the legs from old jeans/ canvas pants sewn up and filled w/ corn media. Can't get much cheaper!!! Why always think high tech/ more $$$$, it does not really work better!!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  5. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Old BDU Legs filled with airsoft pellets from Walmart and sown closed at the ends work well and are very light.

6. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Maybe ummmm Caldwell?:D:D:D

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

8. Highpower

Highpower New Member

How about $5.50 from the local salvage yard?
    Hey - it's not a Caldwell.... :p

[​IMG]

9. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Good gosh dang! I just slapped my forehead. Friggin' brilliant in the best sense of friggin'! :D

I have old red tab legs filled with sand. It does not bother me to take 10 steps with them in hand, but I am going to incorporate the front-wheel-drive-four-banger car jack. Thank you sir! :)

*nodding to self and muttering "effin brilliant"*

10. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Really When I say 550 I didn't mean $5.50 I meant five hundred and fifty dollars.

I am not looking for a weekend plinker thing here I am looking for a precision piece of equipment for shooting.

Like this.

[​IMG]

11. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Ok, I just looked a little closer at the pic, HP. I just picked me up one of those, not the jack or snappy vest, but the rifle. :D

12. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Arms are broken??? ;)

13. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Ok, I just gotta say something.

wtf?

You want the thing to walk itself to the range, self level both horizontally and vertically and give you a happy ending?

Ok, gotta say something else.

wtf?

Who pays "up to" $550 for a front rest unless they are making money using it? No offense to those who would spend that much on a FRONT REST.

Then, I got this thought: at some time, one needs to get to the point in their shooting where they are honest and confident in their ability. Most of my guns can shoot far better than I can. Heck, all of them can. :eek:

Thanks for the laugh, bro. ;)

14. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Yeah, I know Tango. Just kiddin a bit. Although I knew somebody would probably take advantage of the "plinker" version. ;)

Have you looked at at the SEB rests?
    ::: SEB ( Coaxial Front ) REST :::

15. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Skull, I take it you don't know any bench rest shooters? :cool:

16. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I don't know if I do or not. I don't live in that world...maybe eventually.

All I know is that the pic of the rest that Tango posted can be made at home for far less than $500+. Now if a duder shoots competition for good ole cash, then have at it all day. I don't recall military shootists using such a device, but then again, they are confident that they can shoot no matter the rest.

Just because it looks perty does not mean it can help anyone be a better shooter.

17. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Neither do I. I'm not a skeet shooter with 3 thousand dollar shotguns either. I won't hold it against them though. ;)

To me, "bench rest" is more a game of equipment than marksmanship. The only thing left to the shooter is loading the ammo consistently and being good at reading wind conditions. The rest is up to the equipment as far as I'm concerned. JMHO. But it is a game of thousandths of an inch, rather than inches. That pretty much rules out "human" control of the rifle the way I see it.

If that's what someone else enjoys doing and spends a ton of money doing it, it's no skin off my nose. Live and let live. Yeah, I could make one of those Sinclair rests at home for less than 500 bucks. If you don't count the cost of the machines, the tooling, and my time needed to do it. The Honda scissors jack on the other hand, was quick and cheap. :D

18. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I have plans to build at least 3 full on custom bench guns for varmint hunting and target shooting sometime in the future.

I just want a quality piece of shooting equipment.

19. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I'm not arguing by any means. Got the dough to spend on anything, then do so. Whatever makes the person happy. As far as the red type quoted...take my word for it if you will...the components to make something so similar can be purchased and made to work. Imo, any rest that can offer 3 points of base is gonna be better than anyother number of bases. 3 points make a plane. The rest is just screw machine shaft, some set screws and a plate. You don't have to machine it.