Firearms Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Joe, living in Maryland right now with most of my life taking place across the river in Virginia, hoping to return one day to my native West Virginia. I have decided that it is time for my children to start getting their firearms education, well, at least the 11 year old. Actually, my wife is finally letting me, I'm sure some of you understand.

Anyway, for years I've been a guns are locked up and rarely shot kind of guy. Raising a bunch of children and working tons of hours to support the family cut into a lot of the me time and that was just something that I cut out. Besides, where I live now isn't like back home where you can just go out back and shoot safely.

I've added a Remington 597 to the collection which I consider the boys' gun, but unlike my youth, it won't be sitting in the corner of their bedroom closet ;). By today's standards, I never should have lived to be an adult. I came of age at a time when many fine rifles could only be purchased by the government, and by 2004 I was getting busy raising the family, so I have no experience with AR-15s, AK-47s, etc. The bolt action .308 and the 12 gauge pump are the long guns, and the 357 was what I used to call the personal protector, but my fellow Marylanders prefer that the police investigate their homicide than carry the means to prevent it so that is pretty much useless outside the house. Besides, revolvers with kids in the house is scary to me for some reason, so it hasn't been out of the trigger lock for many years.

There are several NRA courses in our near future. Again, there is something about the way that I learned as a boy that just doesn't translate these days. I figure I have plenty to learn, relearn, and probably even unlearn. Fortunately these days we have the internet where I can ask questions and get answers. This forum looked like a good general forum, many others were specific to certain gun models and makes, or just not that active.

Joe

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Welcome to FTF

Welcome from Georgia. Glad you found us. Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
19,844 Posts
Welcome here from Oregon.

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
to the FTF community. We are glad to have you as a new member!

All you need here is a thick skin and the ability to laugh at anything, including yourself!

Please read the following, it will save all of us a lot of time and trouble:

Please DO NOT post (including in your signature) advertisements, links to sell or advertise if you are not a vendor.

New folks- Please read this!!! << Click Here

FTF Newcomer's Guide << Click Here

How To Post Pics on FTF << Click Here

FTF's List Of Acronyms << Click Here

Join the Gun Owners of America, a worthy 2nd Amendment protector.

Gun Owners of America << Click Here

Please join the NRA, it serves all gun owners well.

Join the NRA << Click Here

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well my name is Keith and i live in Virginia NEVER grew up with guns SO i have a lot of questions..but i believe in The second ammedment and will fight for it but i better know what i'm talking about before i do.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Welcome from Fairfax, VA. Plenty of places to shoot around here, just make sure to get out of Maryland soon! ;)

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
From what you say I will disagree with your statement about what you learned as a boy doesn't translate today.I grew up pretty much the same and no one ever got shot because we were taught the value of a human life. Welcome from Arkansas. My name is Joe also!!!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From what you say I will disagree with your statement about what you learned as a boy doesn't translate today.I grew up pretty much the same and no one ever got shot because we were taught the value of a human life. Welcome from Arkansas. My name is Joe also!!!!
You are right about some things. The value of human life was taught to me as a boy and is passed down to mine.

My safety lesson was 1, don't point the rifle at anyone, or the animals (pets and farm) and 2, make sure it is unloaded before you clean it (I think #2 came about because my uncle fired off a round into the ceiling, grazing his thumb while trying to clean his rifle). Yeah, that was about it.

I suppose it also has a lot to do with where I live these days, a suburban housing development.

In WV I lived on a farm and when we moved to MD we lived sort of between two Baltimore suburbs, a lot of woods with a few clusters of houses. I could shoot off the back porch and it was perfectly safe. I could walk out the front door, rifle on the shoulder, and walk down the road passing by a few neighbors' houses, and into the woods and do some plinking. There was nothing wrong with that. Was it legal? Who knows, but accepted in the community, it sure was.

Where I live now, well, it sure wouldn't be safe to shoot off the back deck, ne neighbors are just a few feet to either side, plus there are houses behind us. Even if there were a nice patch of woods nearby, I could imagine the freak out if a teenaged boy were out for a walk with his rifle. Then there is the question of is it legal? You know, I really don't know if it would be legal for a minor to carry his rifle from point A to point B. Right now the boys' are a little young to be out and about with a firearm anyway, but if they keep up their responsible ways, I'd certainly trust them to do so when they get to their mid teens.

But in our household today, our rifles get secured with locks, packed into carrying cases, placed into the trunk of the car, and driven to the range to be used. Then they are packed back up and returned to the confines of their locked cabinet. When the boys or I want to shoot, it is quite a production, a several hour affair. There is no doubt that it is a safe way to do it, but they sure don't get as much practice as I did when I was a youngster.

J

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
You are correct Joseph. I was away from here for 10 years. Most of it spent in Colorado Springs. I would probably still be locked up if I carried a gun down the street. Around here no one cares they know you are either hunting or chasing a 4 legged critter that has gotten into the livestock. And back in the day(mid- late 1970's) we would carry guns to school, stand them in the corner of either the library or the principals office just so we could go hunting after school. No one ever got shot.Try that one now. Times have certainly changed!!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts