From scratch

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by brokengunguy, Sep 6, 2012.

1. brokengunguy

brokengunguy New Member

So I have had this itch to build from raw steel. Any have any advice for this venture.

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Go for it. But know it requires alot of time. I've built many many gun parts but never a complete gun( I do not have to patience).

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You want to build an AR, from scratch, and in steel?

Damn, I want to see this! *subscribes to thread*

Good luck.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

There are a couple of from scratch project threads here on the forum. I'm not exactly sure where they are. One was an AR build and one was a 1911 build. If you can find them, I'm sure they'll be very informative.

Do you have precision machining experience and equipment?

5. brokengunguy

brokengunguy New Member

I'm going to do a pistol semi auto style. A friend of mind has a foundry he is going to cast nice block of aluminum for lower receiver. I am going get hem to cast two blocks of steel for slide. I'm going for 1911 style 45 . Only thing I need to get good at is making springs. I'm not worried about the machineing part.

6. brokengunguy

brokengunguy New Member

I'm not sher if I want to go with 1911 style or old style walther.

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Bets wishes for a successful project. I just subscribed to this thread. :cool:

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Good luck. Sounds like a challenging project.

9. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

If your making one from scratch, why not something you cant just "buy"? Like a Luger in .45.... Or a Medusa? ;)

10. brokengunguy

brokengunguy New Member

Because I can probably make one for half the price of something new.
    And I have been wanting to do this for a wile. I might do well I might fail I'm down for any possibility.

11. Deuce

Deuce New Member

Well you have my attention I'm definitely interested now, but the one half to do it yourself is kinda hard to do with the man hours mainly I would think.
    But I'm definitely interested to see what you come up with.

12. brokengunguy

brokengunguy New Member

13. illshot

illshot New Member

14. superc

superc Member

So I gather you already got the tools you wrote of in the other post.

Why aren't you worried about the machining? Do you have someone lined up to do it for you? Has he ever made a gun part?

By the end of WWII Ordnance had determined the steel and hardness requirements of 1911s were fairly stringent. Yes, you can machine a part out of old train rails, but don't be too surprised if it doesn't hold up in use.

Which aluminum are you planning on having your friend cast? In the long run it might be more effective to research what blend and hardness you are looking for and simply buy a frame block already formed and treated to the desired hardness. Aluminum can be tricky to machine, chilled aluminum even more so.

15. brokengunguy

brokengunguy New Member

The aluminum is aircraft grade.

16. brokengunguy

brokengunguy New Member

I did not get the tools I was looking for I'm just gathering the raw materials and be prepared.

17. CAR

CAR Member Supporter

Nice picture of popcorn. To sad he passed. Better his way than in jail I guess.

18. brokengunguy

brokengunguy New Member

I think was the coolest person from back in the day. just his way of life is cool not even the moonshine part.
    the way thought about things.

19. Alphawolf45

Alphawolf45 New Member

about 1911s

I built a 1911 from castings I bought from Sarco. The slide casting was quite a lot of work to machine it prior to use- much more work than the frame that just required milling the rails and drilling all the holes...It would be an amazing feat for a person to machine an entire 1911 from solid bars of metal......I have built several very nice guns from barstock,making every bolt and spring along the way but I would not tackle that project as its a rediculous amount of work only to end up with something that is not quite as good nor worth as much as what you can buy new for maybe 400 bucks..

I would however subscribe to the thread if you really gonna be able to do it...You would need to have a very well equipped machineshop and the skills of a tool and diemaker, plus a reasonable amount of gunsmithing practice..

.The way it works in the real world the fewer tools and less experience that you have results in decreasing likelihood that you will ever finish with a functional project....on the other hand-- The MORE tools and skills that you have results in apathy and lack of ambition and decreases the likelihood that you will ever finish with a functional project................Therefore any full gun build project that is completed by anybody is deserving of very high praise no matter what it looks like.