Firearms Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello !

I am new here..French, and Luger Artillery accessoiries collector. I am member of the US LugerForum and of the Yan Still Forum. Also in love for the Remington 1911-A1. :) Great forum !

·
Banned
6,964 Posts
Bienvenue, laoshi75! It is good to have you here.

The laws about owning firearms in some parts of Europe are very strict. How are the laws in France regarding firearms?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bkt, thanks for your message ! Our EU guns Legislation is awfull..the absolute nightmare ! You American guys are really lucky People !..Of course we all comply here with the Law, even the stupid ones..:D

·
Banned
6,964 Posts
Each state in the U.S. has a different set of laws about firearms. And even different parts of a state can have different laws from another part. Where I live, for example, I can own an AR-15 with several required modifications (no bayonet lug, no collapsible stock, etc.). But if I lived about a mile south inside the city of Rochester, New York, I could not own an AR-15 at all. I would be considered a criminal.

What sorts of firearms do you own? What requirements do you have to meet in order to purchase firearms?

You mentioned the 1911. In order for me to get one, I would need to pay nearly $200 and wait between six months to a year to get a permit. Once I got the permit, I would need to register the specific handgun's serial number with the state, saying it belonged to me. If I wanted to sell it, I would need to pay a fee to have the serial number removed from my permit and transferred to another permit-holder.

I am trying to determine whether the laws in France regarding firearm purchases are more onerous on the citizens there than the laws in New York.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well, the subject is important..Shortly: guns are ranked in 8 categories here. The most important ones are the 1st, the 4th, and the 8th categories which are, respectively, the War guns (1st), the "defense" guns (4th), and collection guns (8th). The 1st and the 4th categories include almost all weapons and calibers,and their accessories..we must have an official authorization to detain any weapon, this authorization is delivered, and annually renewed, under a lot of conditions. Of course, there are many shooters and ranges in France, but more and more shooters are tired of the numerous annoyances. And many collectors live in illegality. :rolleyes: In our old EU, and particularly in France, we are always very discreet when we speak of our weapons..

·
Registered
332 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the great state of Mississippi :D:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
19,844 Posts
Welcome here. This is a great place with great people.

·
Administrator
26,443 Posts
Welcome- nice to have some input from other places. Here in Virginia, there are very few restrictions on the purchase of firearms (full automatic and short barreled shotguns still subject to Federal law). If I wanted to buy a 1911A1, I would need my driver's license, a second ID with address on it, the cash, and about 15 minutes. Drive over to local shop, pick out one I want, fill out the record of sale, wait 2 minutes for the over-the-phone background check, take my 45, and say good day to the shop owner. A LOT better than New York, huh? I collect a bit of everything, including military rifles, and older 22 target rifles. Have shot quite a few of the remington 1911's (retired, US Army) but really liked the Ithaca 1911's. What part of France are you from? Countryside, city?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello C3Shooter, I live in Paris, but I very often travel abroad, Asia, Germany, etc. I am a Luger Artillery collector. Due to our legislation I specially collect Arty luger holsters & accessoiries (stocks, etc). These items are really expensive now..And I do like the 1911-A1, specially the Remington 1944/45 production with the parkerized grey color. I don't know why, but I really like this gun, more than the Colt or Ithaca. Never seen a Singer !

·
Registered
243 Posts
laoshi75:

My wife and I enjoyed our trips to your beautiful country (Paris, Alsace, Provence, Normandy), but with the Euro/dollar problems, it is very difficult now.

Maybe a personal contact over here can take you to a fun place to shoot-but not at a range...that is why somewhere else would be much more fun (something besides paper). For example, oranges/catalopes floating in a river. Your best possibilities are out west, or down south, where personal freedoms are still respected (with much more open land).
In October, pumpkins are the best targets. Tres bien.

Bon chance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bonjour from Illinois!

My sister studied in France last year in Avignon. Her host parents were wonderful! We went to Paris and Normandy as well, it was great :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
In our old EU, and particularly in France, we are always very discreet when we speak of our weapons..
Hello, laoshi. And wise you are to be very discreet. Here, all too often, in America, bragging and speaking foolishly of guns and their use, has caused grief for the outspoken.

In many parts of our country, however, it is still very possible to enjoy gun ownership of many kinds, with few restrictions as to type or number, but a vigil must be kept ongoing to ensure that does not gradually erode away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Gentlemen,

Many thanks for your kind words and encouragements. To those of you who visited France, hope you could go to the Normandie beaches, where so many American Soldiers, and from other countries, died for Liberty. This land of France is forever a part of America, as we all Frenchies have a part of America in our heart.
thanks again.

christian

1 - 16 of 16 Posts