Froggy Party in my yard!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by CHLChris, Aug 24, 2011.

1. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

We've got this pond (it's really a water feature) in the yard that we never clean out. Let's just say it is natural. Well, every spring the frogs VERY noisily get it on. Usually the raccoons eat up all the tadpoles at some point in the season, but this year the tadpoles got to live a life.

We're not talking Exodus plague of the Most High God, but we've got maybe hundreds.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Ah, simply stimulating; the sweet and sultry strains of the "Swampy Symphony". :cool:

3. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

So you've heard the throaty chorus, too?

4. CA357

They're everywhere here. The actual Sutter Creek is a block away and we're on a hillside with a very high groundwater level. So there's lots of nice damp havens for the wee croakers. To fracture a phrase, the frogs are in hog heaven. :D

5. shadamai

shadamai New Member

I love frogs...they are loud at night, though!

6. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I'll bet you have very few mosquitos. I like to lay in bed and listen to nature sounds such as frogs, crickets, cicadas, birds, etc. I think I'd like having a million frogs in the yard.

7. CA357

Very few mosquitoes.

8. unclebear

unclebear New Member

they make good fishing bait, me personally if you like the frogs so much I'd do a lot of koon hunting. Reptiles are really awesome they get ride of a lot annoying things mostly bugs and rats, sometimes people if you chuck snakes at them. :p

9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I think I'd have a difficult time putting a hook through those frogs to use them as bait. :eek:

But I bet they do make great bait.

10. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpiIWMWWVco]sesame street - its not easy being green - YouTube[/ame]

11. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Frogs ........

Theres only two kinds, Edible and non edible...... :eek:;)

12. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

I sure do miss the water garden I built at my old house.:(

13. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXhO0fitW7A]Burl Ives - Mr. Froggie Went A-Courtin' - YouTube[/ame]

14. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

That is one of the coolest versions of Frog Went a-Courtin' that I have heard! And let's just say that folk music is the world I live in. That guitarist was really fun!

Thnx!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  15. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

You bet!

*two green beans and a black eyed pea - mmhmm*

:D

16. Dennis845

Dennis845 New Member

I was cutting around my pond yesterday on my riding mower. Just right in front of me the very small bull frogs were jumping from the bank into the water. It caused a bass feeding frenzy and muddied the whole shore line. NEAT! Have a bunch of eaters I'd like to get, but no boat. Can't gig them from shore at night because of a population of water moccasins. Frog legs, yum yum...