Frog Lube - Opinions Please.

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by DP03, Dec 7, 2013.

1. DP03

DP03 New Member

I recently bought Frog Lube as it seemed to be the latest craze in an all-in-one wonder product.......

I now see some posts that seem to think it's not all that. I'd like to have opinions from those that have used it, both positive and negative. I have been using it on my Mossberg and AK, and I've shot both plenty lately with zero problems. That being said, if someone gives me proof that it's not a great product for whatever reason, I have plenty of other product to use.......

Thanks.

2. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I love it. I use it on all my guns. It's a lot better than RemOil. Works good on semiautomatics, bolt actions, pistols, ect. It's my go-to product. I highly recommend it.

3. scottmac

scottmac New Member

I like it too. I've tried it on the H&Ks,Sig, and 1911s .... Makes for an easy cleanup after the range. Seems good as a dry lube.
    I recommend going to their website and reading the instructions / recommendations for use.

It's slick enough, I treated the iron table on my table saw and joiner/planer ... Even sappy wood doesn't stick, and they seem well protected. I'm going to do the other power tools when I get a chance.

4. DP03

DP03 New Member

Yea, I have been using it according to the heat recommendations. I like it too, but I've seen a few posts on here criticizing it, that's why I posted.

5. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

If it works for you why do you care? The latest I'm aware of is Fireclean http://www.cleanergun.com/
    I'm still using Ballistol, hard to argue against a product that's over a 100 years old and does what it claims!
    Sometimes good is good enough. ;)

6. DP03

DP03 New Member

Because Frog is a fairly new product, and really is still being proven. I have seen a very lopsided positive response on it, with some that have done their own tests. But I've also seen a few negatives, which may just be those that won't endorse anything that they don't have in their box, but I'm curious.

And why do I care? Because I do. If you don't, then you need not respond.

Ballistol is supposed to be good stuff. But there aren't too many things that haven't been improved upon in the last 100 years.

7. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

I have been using it on my Wiley Clapp Colt Commander since I got it. No problems, and does make clean up easier. I just started using it on my Walther PPQ and PPK. I use a heat gun to warm the parts when I apply it. IMO it seems the complaints I have read sound like user error. I could see where it would have problems if you don't remove all the excess after treating. I had a few thicker globs that I removed. If not maybe they would have caused some problems.

8. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

Next year there will be another wonder product people will rave about.

9. DaughterofAres

DaughterofAres New Member

We just bought it too and having no issues. Smells way better than solvent, now that the windows are shut in winter (the temp. is in -20's fah but "feels" like -43.5f) these past few days. The fun side, the husband has me smelling all the guns saying "it smells like toothpaste" "smell, smell"

10. Mercator

Mercator New Member

I agree. Frog Lube is an overpriced cleaner-lubricant of which are many. It is trading on 1)being non-toxic, and 2)smelling good. The ready-soaked wipes are stronger and thicker than the wet kleenex tissue sold as Winchester. That's good marketing, but I will let someone else reward it.

11. DaughterofAres

DaughterofAres New Member

It's environmentally friendly. You could EAT the frog lube, but you can't consume the solvents... well unless..... :rolleyes:

12. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I've been using it as a Post shoot lube for about a year now. Started wearing vinyl gloves with it because it peels the calluses off my hands. Outside of that it's great. Even works ALMOST perfectly on powder stains on revolvers!

13. AR10

AR10 New Member

Frog is a water based product? It has shown an ability to attract and grow mold. It has also shown the ability to fail, and allow etching of rust to attack metals.

Frog? I'm out.

I only use products proven to work on guns that have PTFE as a primary ingredient. Three come to mind, NRA lube, CLP available at Wal-Mart and loctite C5-A. C5-A is a grease. Glorious stuff! New Glocks are shipped with this on slides.

You put PTFE on a gun, and hell or high water can't harm it. Bullets can't burn it out of the barrel, slides can't wear it off no matter how long it has been between cleanings.

Like it easy and quick? CLP.

Want a more roughly cleaned gun? NRA lube systems.

Want something thicker to stay put? C5-A

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  14. akm47nagiont

akm47nagiont New Member

I decided to try it on my 1022 me and some friends put about 600 rounds of non jacketed led bullets through it zero issues cleaned up really Nice .

And whoever said it grows mold on it I want proof. I don't doubt it being a biodegradable product

If I find mold on my gun the stuffs going straight to the garbage

Edit

15. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I have been using it for over a year, but I am very "OCD" about cleaning. I use frog post shoot, and use remoil and or CLP pre shoot....
    Used CLP on each new gun as it came into my possession....caught a "Tinge" of rusting last summer on the left side of my LC9 slide from the IWB holster, as gun was flat against my right side. Answer, pull up boxers to sit between flat side of LC and my side(of Gut) wiped it down real good and treated with some anti-rust/Rust remover bought at LGS,...no issue since...

16. AR10

AR10 New Member

Test videos of rust

New formula Frog Lube VS Mil-Comm

[ame]http://youtu.be/GBB82UIf3DU[/ame]

Old formula Frog lube VS Mil-Comm

[ame]http://youtu.be/LtKkSRLQN_A[/ame]

6 lubes VS one another

[ame]http://youtu.be/xwlLc2DcmQ0[/ame]

17. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Je ne comprends pas. Why is everyone picking on it? It's what you Americans call Kentucky Jelly, no? Ribbit. :D

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

The issues I had with it reliability wise, seemed to be user error. I followed the directions, but I don't think I put it on sparingly enough, or didn't wipe off enough excess. The first couple of shots while my gun was cold, I had a failure to return to battery. While it was warm, no problem.

I choose not to use a lubricant that I can **** up. Why should I when there are so many others that I've had no problems with? I currently use ballistol.

I see AR10 has brought up the rust issue. This was a huge deal to me. When using the latest and greatest cleaner/lubricant on your carry gun, it's very disheartening to find rust on it. Then someone mentioned to me here on the forum, to paraphrase since I can't remember word for word... "does it even claim to stop rust?"

Hmmm.... Does it? I went to the manufacturer's website. NO. It makes no claims at all as to preventing rust.

Is this a deal breaker? Well, it says in the instructions that once you use it, don't switch back to oil or petroleum based CLPs. Guess what is one of the easiest to find and use products that removes rust? Oil/petroleum based CLPs.

I live in a humid environment. Rust is my enemy on everything. I also work around Chlorine gas all the time, and it permeates my clothes and skin. EVERYTHING rusts around me. And, apparently I can **** up the application.

Therefore, I choose not to use it.

One thing I will say for it though, NOTHING sticks to that ****. NOTHING. If you use it, you can clean everything by simply wiping it down. But, ballistol has the same effect.

As far as whether or not you can eat it? I don't normally make a habit of eating my gun cleaning stuff. I DID spray some industrial penetrating lubricant in my mouth last year that ****ed me up for a couple of weeks, but it was entirely accidental. NOTHING tasted right. I lost ten pounds simply because eating was unappealing.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  19. AR10

AR10 New Member

It is easier to get people to understand why you might only date red heads, or drive Chevys, than get people to think about changing a favorite gun lube.

I think your post was well done, and might even get through to Ford drivers that date blondes.

20. janbfield

janbfield New Member

Just finished Frog Lubing a couple of my toys

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1391886121.994631.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk