Friends of NRA

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by JTJ, Dec 12, 2010.

1. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I am a FNRA committee member at Lake Havasu AZ. We raise money for shooting sports. 1/2 of the money goes to the NRA and 1/2 stays in th state. The money is distributed in the form of grants for ranges, youth shooting programs, Women on Target, etc. We hold a yearly banquet, auction and raffles to raise the money. We start the year with a ridiculous $500 in our checking account. Raffle items we buy locally have to be paid for and the banquet room requires a $500 deposit. Some items we get donated and most are sold to us at cost. Items we buy through the NRA we dont have to pay for immediately. We have to raise money fast and we do this with raffles. I just picked up a small electronic pistol safe out of my pocket to raffle off at an upcoming local gun show. 100 tickets @ $5 or 3/$10. we will also be raffling off a S&W Bodyguard 380, 300 tickets @ $5 or 3/$10.
    I am not soliciting ticket purchases on the forum. I am looking for raffle item suggestions. What would you like to see on a raffle? If an item is $500 or under, we go with the $5 tickets $1000 we go with $10 or 3/$20. We do have a special Henry rifle on the way from the NRA that will go for $20 per ticket. Suggestions have been Ruger SR9c, Sig P238, Highpoint carbine, AR and a gun safe.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  2. JTJ

I just bought this obsidian knife from Randy for the FNRA. It will either be raffled or auctioned. No suggestions? What would you be willing to buy raffle tickets for?

Attached Files:

3. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Sell tickets at $10 each.

Sorry there were no responses, but you have to admit that a little Google could answer many of your questions.

AK's and SKS's can be had for less than $500
    The new Ithica M37 Defense shotgun is priced $300 - $400
    The Ruger LCP is on sale at Impact for $288.88 and only 1 pistol on this page Ruger Semiauto Handguns at Impact Guns Home is priced over $500

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Most folks like 1911's. Why not pick up a Springfield G.I. model?

5. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Things that would get me to buy raffle tickets:

S&W M&P AR15-22
    Springfield EMP 9mm (they must be moving, I can't find them in the stores)
    Gun safe (12-gun or so, nothing too large)
    Mid-range O/U shotgun
    A top-break SA revolver
    Kahr PM9
    Beamshot laser/light combo
    Browning Hi-Power 9mm
    Any high quality 1911
    Case pocket knives
    Practically anything out of the AG Russel catalog
    Marlin Model 60

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  6. JTJ

I can get prices, what I need are suggestions for items. How many like the idea of a Springfield. The NRA gun of the year is a Colt 1911 that will be auctioned off at the banquets. What would you buy a raffle ticket for. Scott; good suggestions. We did a Colt and Sig 22lr last year. We will have an S&W M&P15 22lr at the banquet and so will the other FNRA Committees. Find your local committees banquet date and attend. It is all for shooting sports. All the committees will have at least 1 gun for every 10 attendees at the banquet.

7. freefall

freefall New Member

Lever action .22s are always popular. A youth model such as a Chipmunk, or one of those Rossi .22/.410 combos. A Marlin Model 94 .357 would be cool.

8. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

Not to crap on your posty, I just cannot understand why anyone buys tickets to a raffle. I belong to the AZCDL and I would rather donate money to their cause than buy a ticket that gives me a chance to win something that has had it's value raised to 3times what it would normally cost. I do understand that I'm in the minority on this.

9. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Yes, you are.

In the Minority!

Buying a raffle ticket is a donation to the organization, nothing more. Incidentially, it enters you in a chance to win something you probably wouldn't go out and buy.

10. JTJ

We gladly accept contributions but they are hard to get especially in these times. People like to gamble so we do raffles. This is a fund raiser but we dont get outrageous. We usually try to double our money and limit ticket quantity. 2 years ago we raffled a matched pair of Ruger Vaquero's in 45 Colt. 300 ticket at $10 each and 3/$20. We netted a little over $1000. This year we have a special Henry with one of a kind serial number "London Bridge FNRA 2011". We dont know what our cost is yet but we will probably do the same.
    We committee members donate our time and energy. We dont get any money or expeses and pay for our own banquet tickets. We donate some of the items we raffle or auction off. We do this because we love the shooting sports and every shooter is a vote against gun control. The local gun dealers help us out. One shop does all our transfers and storage at no cost. We can get guns and other items at cost from them. They donate some items too. One dealer donated a shotgun last year. Charter Arms donated a Pink Lady to us last year. NRA has most of the mfgs tied up and it is hard to get a mfg donation for a small committee.

11. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

22's make good raffle items being kids love them and old kids like me love them. The Springer is a great idea being I have yet to know anyone that has to many 1911's.

I disagree with the raffle items having their value inflated being the item is not being inflated. A winner gets it for the price of a ticket. If someone is buying enough tickets to buy the thing then they are a little off anyway.:D

12. JTJ

Last year a woman won an OU shotgun we raffled and donated it to the kids shotgun program we have here. She had no use for the shotgun but bought the tickets as a donation. We were also able to get them a grant from the State FNRA that will help pay for shooting supplies.
    We encourage people to participate in their local FNRA events. You can find loacations near you here.
    http://www.nra.org/nralocal.aspx