Featured Friend needs some help deciding on my next rifle.

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by TheEvilAngel8, Mar 24, 2020.

1. TheEvilAngel8

TheEvilAngel8 Member

He's got me stumped. Its a tall order.
    He wants a semi automatic .308, meant for long range shots, with a detachable magazine. He wants it to be 10 pounds or under and with a budget of $1500.
    Any help would be appreciated. I accepted a challenge and I really dont want to fail. Thank you.

2. austin92

austin92 Well-Known Member

My vote is an m1a. I’ve tossed up the idea of doing a dmr type build and as much as I’d love a scar 17, their prices have gone way up.

Sierra 173 likes this.

3. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Ten pounds with a scope, bipod, sling, and full magazine, or the rifle by itself? Same goes for the price.

A Ruger AR 10 with a 16" barrel weighs a fuzz over 8.5 pounds, and sells for around $1700. Other brands will be cheaper or more expensive, depending on what options, quality, or the name dictates.

A Springfield scout is about the same price and weight.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Browning BAR. That platform is one of the most accurate out-of-the-box rifles I have seen in ANY caliber.

Gatoragn likes this.
  5. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

What's his/your idea of long range? Shooting a 308 out to 600 yards is one thing,shooting one past that requires a longer barrel in order to have enough velocity to get there.
    Shooting at 800-1k yards generally means a 24" - 26" barrel,so having a 10 lb rifle is a pipe dream.
    Choosing a large framed AR will be easier to set up over a M1A. Besides,trying to scope a M1A can be a challenge & very expensive. Most good M1A scope mounts are several hundred dollars,it's a better choice to buy a M21 receiver,but those rifles go for about $3k.

There are several DPMS LR-308's for sale at decent prices on Gun Broker,if you decide on a DPMS,get a Gen 1 not the Gen 2. Most aftermarket parts made are for the Gen 1 DPMS.

locutus and primer1 like this.
  6. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Not for Long Range,Hunting,yes!

7. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Is that $1500 without optics? Send him to the Palmetto State Armory website. Should be able to put something together there.

primer1, towboater and OLD Ron like this.
  8. glockman55

glockman55 Well-Known Member

Define Long Range.. If Hunting only, guessing 600 yds or less.. anything more than that with a semi-auto, yes you're talking something Custom built..

9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Angel8

One of the finest AR-15 Type 308 Rifles I have ever handled. And I have handled and shot many others like Armalite AR-10, Rock River Arms LAR-8 and including the Springfield M1-A which is also an excellent rifle. A little heavy but a fine rifle! My wife won a Ruger SR 7.62 at a conference. It is a very nice gun and handles exceptionally well! They as I understand have stopped producing them for a while but was advised they will in all likely hood be producing them again in the future. It is fairly light and not heavy and bulky like most other rifles. If a guy could find a deal on one that is a great possibility!

towboater likes this.
  11. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

You opened to door up when you said "long range".. Some consider 300yrds long range. Others, a mile..
    What would you like to accomplish? Long range at a paper target.. Or, long range to put dinner on the table? Just to get started..

locutus and JTJ like this.
  12. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Longest shot I've ever had at anything breathing was 125 yds.

towboater likes this.